View Full Version : Help with these elusive energetics.

megalomania
September 30th, 2008, 05:53 PM
In my current round of explosive research efforts I have come across many an interesting compound, many of which will find their way onto Rogue Science sooner or later. There are a few explosives, however, that I cannot seem to divine the identity of. Chalk it up to non-standard naming, the compounds being very rare literature wise, or maybe I am just not looking hard enough.

This short list of explosives are some of the names for which I come up empty in the literature. They are, if I recall, all from either the BATF list and/or the European list of regulated materials and/or the list of energetic for the Chemical Weapons Convention. Almost certainly these names came from some fedgov document, which tells me two things:
A. If the fedgov took the time to regulate this explosive, then surely someone is making/using/shipping it right?
B. These names only appear on fedgov lists, which means some technical writer, assistant to the traveling undersecretary so-and-so, who has only seen a laboratory on TV, wrote these names. He probably wrote them wrong.

If anyone can help divine the names of these, I would greatly appreciate it. Some structures would be helpful because I can run a structure search on them. A referenced article that I can cross check could provide a clue as to the compounds identity. Some additional synonyms might get me closer too.

Here is the list:
BDNTA
[bis-dinitrotriazole]amine
BDTNTA
[Bis-dinitrotriazole]amine
DDFP
1,4-dinitrodifurazanopiperazine
FAMAO
3-difluoroaminomethyl-3-azidomethyl oxetane
FPF-3
poly-2,4,4,5,5,6,6-heptafluoro-2-tri-fluoromethyl-3-oxaheptane-1,7-diol formal
NTAT
nitrotriazol aminotetrazole
NTDNIA
N-(2-nitrotriazolo)-2,4-dinitroimidazole
NTDNT
1-N-(2-nitrotriazolo) 3,5-dinitrotriazole
NTNMH
1-(2-nitrotriazolo)-2-dinitromethylene hydrazine
NTNT
1-N-(2-nitrotriazolo)-4-nitrotetrazole
PDNT
1-picryl-3,5-dinitrotriazole
PTIA
1-picryl-2,4,5-trinitroimidazole
TEDDZ
3,3,7,7-tetrabis(difluoroamine) octahydro-1,5-dinitro-1,5diazocine

The list order is the acronym followed by the chemical name for that acronym.

Actually what I am really after are CAS numbers for these compounds. I find those, and it unlocks everything I need to get synthesis info on these explosives.

NameWithheld
October 1st, 2008, 03:41 PM
Sorry to add my own without answering the original question, but I figured it would be better than starting a new thread..

perfluoro3,4-tetrahydro-1,2,-diazete

Anyone know anything about it?

If context would be of any assistance..

http://yarchive.net/explosives/astrolite.html

Gerald Hurst (Chief Scientist for development of the Astrolite family of explosive compositions) responds to another post...

"Now, you mentioned FEFO in the context of comparing it to one
of the Astrolites. This kind of academic nonsense may impress
the the teenybombers, but you can hardly expect an explosives
chemist to take you seriously. They are different materials
with vastly different properties, uses and enormously
different prices.

You might as well compare Astrolite to
perfluoro3,4-tetrahydro-1,2,-diazete. Like FEFO it is very
expensive, even more exotic, even less reactive and a heck
of a lot more dangerous."

While obviously being outside the scope of most home chemists, anything that's more exotic than FEFO must be interesting :D Sadly, information on this substance has been... non-existent, outside of Dr. Hurst mentioning it....