View Full Version : Simple revolver design aka the "Manual Revolver"

iHME
October 2nd, 2008, 04:06 PM
On the " Hypothetically how can someone with limited tools make ammunition from scratch?" thread the idea of a manually rotated revolver came up.
Well I drew up some crude prints for it. They are mainly to show the idea.
I encourage members to make better ones.
The idea is to create a simple multi shot capable firearm.

If one has a very good drill press the cylinder could be bored with it.

I recommend studying JACO Designs, they have very simple trigger systems.
And they could be adapted to fit our needs.

Now that I have the thread started I'll draw some prints.

Please don't crucify me for my bad drawings. I'm no graphic artist. :o

tomu
October 4th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Actually, a very good idea. A quite simple design with a the neccassary cylinder locking/indexing mechanism under the barrel. Very simple SA-Trigger.

If you are carefully in laying out the cylinder borings/chambers this could be easily done with basic tools.

IIRC there were some pictures of a homemade simple handturned revolver like this made by a russian guy some where on the web, unfortunately I can't find the link nor the photos on my PC.

a3990918
October 8th, 2008, 07:27 PM

Here is a plan from Paladin Press for a revolver-knife that is, I believe, basically the same as you are describing. The cylinder is rotated by hand after each shot and is of a single action design. Of course this could be modified to a standard handgun configuration.

http://rapidshare.com/files/152189745/ebook_-_Paladin_Press_Series_on_Improvised_Firearms_-_The_Revolver_Knife.pdf

No Pass:

Hirudinea
October 8th, 2008, 08:22 PM
If your want to make a revolver with simple tools do you think it would be possible to adapt a good quality "Cap Pistol" revolver to fire low power rounds, replace the barrel and the cylinder with a barrel and cylinder that can take the pressure, and design somthing to keep the rounds in the chamber, and the trigger and rotary mechanism from the cap pistol MIGHT be sufficent to work as a real gun. (Or it might blow your hand off, but either way it would do somthing you'ed never forget!)

Cobalt.45
October 8th, 2008, 10:47 PM
The problem is, the frame is what ties the cylinder to the barrel. IMHO, by the time you were done you will have basically built the gun from the ground up, anyway.

a3990918
October 10th, 2008, 02:34 AM

Some more homemade firearms plans; Revolvers, Automatics, Single Shot etc etc...

http://rapidshare.com/files/139190865/Automatic_and_Concealable_Firearms_Design_Book_VOL .1.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/139190866/Automatic_and_Concealable_Firearms_Design_Book_VOL .2.rar

http://rapidshare.com/files/139190867/Automatic_and_Concealable_Firearms_Design_Book_VOL .3.rar

Password for all 3 is: a3990918

iHME
October 10th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Thank you a3990918 but I already have those. Fun to read but devoid of real instructions. I'll dig more into making the prints. I'll also try to make a scale cardboard model to get the "feel" of what I'm aiming at.

Hirudinea
October 10th, 2008, 09:19 PM
The problem is, the frame is what ties the cylinder to the barrel. IMHO, by the time you were done you will have basically built the gun from the ground up, anyway.

I suppose so, but the idea was if your going to build a zip gun, then adapting a cap pistol would simply give you a repeating weapon for about the same amount of effort.

TreverSlyFox
October 13th, 2008, 10:37 AM
If your want to make a revolver with simple tools do you think it would be possible to adapt a good quality "Cap Pistol" revolver to fire low power rounds, replace the barrel and the cylinder with a barrel and cylinder that can take the pressure, and design something to keep the rounds in the chamber, and the trigger and rotary mechanism from the cap pistol MIGHT be sufficient to work as a real gun. (Or it might blow your hand off, but either way it would do something you'd never forget!)

There are conversion cylinders for some of the better cap & ball revolvers such as the Ruger Old Army. They're designed for the "Cowboy" low power loads and they cost between $200 - $300. With the reputation of the Ruger I'll bet it will take "full" power loads without a hitch in .45LC.

Hirudinea
October 15th, 2008, 07:13 PM
There are conversion cylinders for some of the better cap & ball revolvers such as the Ruger Old Army. They're designed for the "Cowboy" low power loads and they cost between $200 - $300. With the reputation of the Ruger I'll bet it will take "full" power loads without a hitch in .45LC.

Do cap and ball revolvers need a licence in the States? (If not that would be the way to go.)

festergrump
October 15th, 2008, 07:24 PM
The fedgov does not consider them to be firearms, so they'll ship right to your door, no FFL required or any kind of licensing. Local laws may differ somewhat, though, so while you're definitely able to buy one shipped right to you easily, carrying it legally may be problematic in some areas. IIRC, Most states tend to look at them as firearms in regards to carrying them on your person.

P.S. It kind of goes without saying, if you already have one revolver in your possession to use as a model and the needed machine tools to duplicate parts... you can pump out as many completed revolvers as you dare. You don't have to be an engineer to duplicate what already works well.

The hardest part would be the cylinder IMHO, and if you have a model cylinder and a good rotary indexing attachment for your drillpress, half the battle is already won.

Designing a revolver completely from scratch is probably going to be mostly a pain due to the correct throw of the hand to rotate the cylinder into proper alignment with the barrel I should think, once you finish the cylinder. Lots of trial and error with hand length there with much cussing to follow, I'd imagine. With a decent model to match exactly OTOH, how could you go wrong?