View Full Version : .410 shotgun shells

angelo
July 30th, 2001, 06:14 AM
I was just wondering what everyones views were when it comes to .410 shells.

I used to think they were a waste of money since they cost more then 12 gauge shells.
but I must say that my view has changed now that I have actually fired one. The kick is nothing compared to the kick of a 12 gauge. And I fired some modified ammo and it seems that my mind has changed from 12 gauge to .410 as being the ideal ammo for an imrovised gun.

------------------
angelo's place (http://hop.to/angelo) | have a good link? add it here (http://pub16.bravenet.com/freelink/show.php?usernum=1307442656) | go to the OZ Forum (http://pub75.ezboard.com/bozforum97164)

Heavy Recoil
July 30th, 2001, 02:48 PM
Well, a .410 (which isnt a gauge, its the calaber of a slug fired from it, its real gauge is 37 "I think") can also fire 45 long colt and with a half ring made for securing a rod in a tractor moter, I fired a standard .45 apc sucessfully. 12 gauge fits in 3/4 in. pipe(.75 is the cal.) 50 cal fits in 1/2 in. pipe, and 410/45 fits in 3/4 in. pipe"I think, again". 12 has more pellets and spread, but 10 8 and 4 have more. 45, if you hit something, it probibly wont get back up.

------------------
"I'm not an assassin. killing is more of a hobby with me."' Robert A. Heinlein

Anthony
July 30th, 2001, 06:49 PM
.410 are more dangerous for using in zip guns because the cartridge generates higher pressure than the other calibres.

I don't remember exactly why, but it was something to with being a smaller calibre, to have a similar shot pattern as larger calibres, the load is longer, thus taking more pressure to propel it at a decent velocity.

This came from a book on pistols which had a section on zip guns, including a .410 pistol.

A-BOMB
July 30th, 2001, 09:35 PM
I own many .410 caliber guns and they are the best guns I have next to my .215 sniper rifle and my browning double auto, the cycler bore guns fire .45 long colt and the rifled slugs in the shell work wonders on 1/2 inch steel plate I love those guns!

------------------
live by the bomb
die by the bomb

SawedOff8gaugeman
August 14th, 2001, 03:18 PM
I've understood a .410 derringer might be a cool weapon(=damn powerful for its size). But they are practically banned here!! http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/mad.gif Damn!

twinkle
August 16th, 2001, 06:59 PM
As Anthony said the pressure of this bullet is much higher then of a .12 gauge V0 of the
bullet / lead shot is about 1200 f/s (366 m/s) it was often used in the past for poaching while you could shoot with a pistol type of shotgun with a shortened barrel which make it easy to hide ,it was used for small game you can use it ,it is a good bullet but the gun must be of good quality .

Tony Montana
August 17th, 2001, 05:26 AM
Mark "Chopper" Ried, carried a small .410 shotgun, and a small .38 beretta and few others one including a .44 magnum!
He actually ended up getting charged with murder, for shooting someone in the face with a .410

[This message has been edited by Tony Montana (edited August 17, 2001).]

Begste
January 12th, 2005, 06:36 PM
I was just wondering what everyones views were when it comes to .410 shells.

I used to think they were a waste of money since they cost more then 12 gauge shells.
but I must say that my view has changed now that I have actually fired one. The kick is nothing compared to the kick of a 12 gauge. And I fired some modified ammo and it seems that my mind has changed from 12 gauge to .410 as being the ideal ammo for an imrovised gun.

There are a few revolvers that shoot .45LC and .410. The D-max and Thunderfive come to mind. You can make shotshells from several .45 rimmed cases. Old shotgun shells used to be made out of brass. But it was unessessary so they use plastic with a little brass on the bottom. There are combat loads for .410 that shoot 5 #000 buck (.38 caliber) and even with a rifled barrel, thats fairly "overkill" for home defense. Imagine that in a snubnose. I think the only reason they dont make one (saving the Thunder five) is because you need consistent powder ignition with the .410 shell but thats easy to fix with a pinch of fast burning powder at the bottom of the casing. Shotshells are easy to load for .410, you dont need a crimp. Plus you can shoot things like arrows or bolts (wooden slugs)..

Begste
January 12th, 2005, 07:08 PM
I've understood a .410 derringer might be a cool weapon(=damn powerful for its size). But they are practically banned here!! http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/mad.gif Damn!

Your missing out. We can get kits here that are "legal" to buy without a FFL. You just have to weld the side plates on. There are several different models. Double barrel, single shot, double barrel with .22 on top, 9 shot .22 manually indexing revolver, full sized shotguns with folding stock and black powder versions. The best one they have is the .410 derringer but with a 13 1/2 length. Looks just like a sawed off shotgun but is actually a pistol. Fires only one barrel at a time but would do some serious damage at close range with the right load.

http://images.gunsamerica.com/upload/976267730-1.jpg

Thats the single barrel model.

Dave the Rave
January 13th, 2005, 12:36 PM
.410 or the plain .36 gauge is THE best calliber to improvised weapons or home defenses. It donīt have an high kick, but its an fair load to short distances and we can use several nice kinds of ammo, including the five 000 load and the .45 long colt that can bed easily on most of the guns. Here in Brazil we have an "home defense" ammunition that its more than 100 very small copper spheres, heavy enough to kill at short distance, ligth enough to not bypass doors and walls or to be shot as an warning...

I own an old "Lerap" single shot that can sing nicely with the hot long colt, very precisely despite the fact thatīs not rifled. Another piece itīs an double barrel .10 inches gun that I can shot both barrels at the same time and no big recoill.

Itīs an cheap ammo, at my country it can be bough for less than c$ 15 and no license required, and the spent cases can be reloaded till the end of the world as the plastic deformation is minimal.

I used to reload with rock salt, small lumps the size of peas, dipped in wax to prevent moisture accuiring, to shot at the little garden burglars or the kids who tried to trespass my home, with heavy fishing lead, with slugs made by myself with copper tubing and melted lead, with wooden saboted .22 calliber flechetes and the list goes on...

Practicaly any load that could bed on bigger callibers can be used on the ubidiquous .410, cheaper and with less recoill, at least for my standards. Some other nice ideas on reloaded ammo (http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?t=3350) with humble adds by myself...

Lurking_Shadows
January 23rd, 2005, 01:54 AM
Just a though, see how well a 30-30 round fits into a .410.
It'll work in a pince.

Third_Rail
January 23rd, 2005, 04:48 AM
I have had some experiences with .410 shotshells. My first experience was from an old pump-action shotgun, and the .410 proved to be a wonderful thing.

My second experience, much less pleasant, was getting hit with pellets that bounced back out of a .410/.45 derringer, because they had failed to penetrate into soft pineboard. They left small dents, and that's it.

In my view, .410 is useless unless the barrel is long enough for the velocity to build up to acceptable levels, which negates the advantages of concealment.