View Full Version : Mini 14 goes Full AUTO! - Archive Thread

Anthony
March 17th, 2003, 09:00 PM
Oliver K
A new voice
posted February 13, 2001 07:59 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was used to post often before this forum was shut down for a while so i guess im new here but i have ONE questionn I went to a site posted on one of the topics...and Read that u can Cheaply (probably very Dangeroulsy) convert a Mini 14 to full auto by removing the second sear and spring and putting everything back together..
Does ne ONe know if this works realiably ..and more importantly Safely?
Thanks all for you time and help!!

AR-15 Man
Frequent Poster
posted February 13, 2001 09:23 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HECK NO!!!! you are ruining a perfectly good semi rifle. The mini14 was never designed for full auto and should of never been. There is a full auto version but it suffers from many problems. What you are talking about is a slam fire conversion. That is VERY dangerous. It could fire a bullet out of battery (which means you and your rifle are screwed). That would kill you. Sorry no easy way to go about it. Guess you will just have to buy the books. A word of advice try out the gun with semi. You can do a lot more damage with semi auto. This definitely belongs in the Improviesed weapon section because if you do this you have improvised a booby trap. Lets see drop the rifle somewhere some idiot uses it then suddently BOOM!

Oliver K
A new voice
posted February 13, 2001 09:56 PM
Thanks...i was just wondering..cause its abvious i know nothing on full auto conversion...thanks
OH one more thing....ne one know if bulpup stocks are prohibited in Canada..i think i read something about it in the old FAC book

thanks

Maddoc
posted February 14, 2001 06:34 AM
Considered a TAC trigger? You can buy them kinda cheaply at gun shows from dealers.
I attached one to my Mini-14, however, mine is a slightly different design for some reason, so it doesnt fit the trigger guard properly, so no full auto.

------------------
Whoa, where my fingers?

HMTD Factory
Frequent Poster
posted February 14, 2001 03:26 PM
Bullpup design is banned in Canada.

HMTD Factory
Frequent Poster
posted February 14, 2001 11:12 PM
As I was checking milarm.com , a guns&stuff
dealer based in Canada, I found the site also
a dealer of many firearm related books.
One of such is "Mini-14 Super System" of Paladin Press, suppose it have info you want.

stickfigure
March 19th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Check out Ragnar's Action Encylcopedia, there are Blueprints to make the parts for the Mini-14 Full-Auto. AR-15 Man is right about the slam fire stuff, you can get the same thing out of an SKS if you take out the firing pin and turn it around backwards. But I don't agree with the Ruger 556 slam, the A-team used them all the time and they Kicked ASS! BA is the King of Improvised Weapons, he can build a tank out of anything! I pity tha Foo!

blacktalon
April 29th, 2003, 01:40 AM
If you remove the second sear on a Mini 14, the hammer will then move freely with the bolt as long as the trigger is held down. As a round is stripped from the mag and chambered, the hammer will then be against the firing pin... when the bold slams against the chamber, the bullet would be fired (if it worked at all) before the bolt was locked into place. This is a bad for the shooter because you would then get a face full of hot gas as there would be a great deal of blowback. The extremely high chamber pressure could probably do extensive damage to the cast receiver as well. The idea you want is just as the bolt locks into battery a trip is tripped and the hammer is then released... this will allow the hammer to hit the firing pin with full force guaranteeing the bullet to fire and also allowing the bolt to be locked, making sure you live longer. The SKS is an easy one to convert because they do all the hard work for you.

Magas
May 1st, 2003, 01:37 PM
Ant i have the machine drawings for a full auto/ select fire Mini 14 if you want them :cool:

elvis
May 1st, 2003, 03:56 PM
My dad's got one, he's giving it to me, coz the bolt is stuck. Needs cleaning, possible replacement. I would appreciate very much those plans... Are they for any model or the new one, his is an old one. He said it fires full auto already, though, he said it's pre-ban, I think he already converted it, maybe I'll get my own just for the fun of doing it myself.

blacktalon
May 5th, 2003, 09:06 PM
I truly hope that you don't think that if a rifle is pre-ban that it can legally be full auto. :) The only difference in a Pre/Post ban mini 14, is that on a pre ban model, if you have a detachable mag, bayonet lug, flash hider and a pistol grip you won't go to jail. On a post ban rifle you are only allowed to have 2 of the devil features. (bayonet lug, flash hider, pistol grip, detachable mag, or a grenade launcher.) Since most all mini 14's have detachable mags, you can only have one other feature to remain legal. :D

One other thing you should think about... a .223 burping 30rds down range is very loud. If you are actually from Flordia, where could you fire it without alarming old people??

Mmanwitgun88
May 6th, 2003, 12:29 AM
blacktalon, fully auto guns can have whatever features they damn well please. The assualt weapon ban only applies to semi automatic guns manufactured after '94. Full autos are class 3's which are in their own world.
~Dave

elvis
May 6th, 2003, 04:44 PM
There is a range on old 441, they closed it down some three months ago, and now I can't go anywhere :( It does have a detachable magazine and a bayonet lug, but none of the others. Also equipped is a shell catcher. I have to go, I'll pick up tomorrow. And thanks, manwitgun. I appreciate you putting him in his place. I'll shut up now.

blacktalon
May 7th, 2003, 11:49 PM
Put me in my place? Whatever. :rolleyes: Yes, if the gun were a registered class 3, then it would be legal with all the goodies. It isn't though, so there is no point in talking about it dumbass. If his father is "giving" it to him it is not a class 3 firearm because they must be transferred by a class 3 dealer to a person over the age of 21 with a clean criminal record. (I doubt he is 21) Also, if he is going to convert it to full auto (why else would he want the conversion plans?) there is absolutely no way that it can be class 3. The BATF hasn't accepted requests for full auto conversions since the 80's, thus all transferable machineguns are pre ban. :rolleyes: I have experience with legal machineguns and BATF laws. Thanks for the lecture.

Mmanwitgun88
May 8th, 2003, 12:09 AM
He said it his dad said it was already converted, maybe it was converted in '86 before the MG ban was put into effect. Why even question this shit, are you going to be asking everyone in the chemical section as to whether they have a explosives manufacturing permit. When people talk about things here just assume its legal. I'm not taking sides, I'm just saying why bother discussing these legal issues.
~Dave

blacktalon
May 8th, 2003, 03:10 AM
Look DAVE, Old Elvis there posted a reply that sounded to me as though he believed it would be legal to convert a Mini 14 to full auto because it was Pre ban. I never questioned him. I just passed a little good info on laws his way and then you began telling me all about the mystical world of class 3 transferables. Give me a break. Anyway:

"He said it fires full auto already, though, he said it's pre-ban, I think he already converted it, maybe I'll get my own just for the fun of doing it myself."

I replied to his message simply to inform him that if he was under that impression it was in error. I only did this to try to keep him from inadvertently doing something stupid. It sounds like he is thinking of taking this weapon to a gun range after all. That is an excellent idea now isn't it? Lets go someplace where there are lots of people around to watch me fire my illegally converted automatic weapon. Why not just go try it out in front of the police station?
Whenever I have let rip at a range, it generally draws a crowd. I have also been asked to see my paperwork more than once by officers who were target practicing or just screwing around.

"When people talk about things here just assume its legal" This thread is about converting a mini 14 to full auto by removing the second sear. That is not legal, just so you know.

", maybe it was converted in '86 before the MG ban was put into effect" Even if, he still couldn't give it to him. If it was legally registered, there would be paperwork connecting it to his father. (My dad's got one, he's giving it to me, coz the bolt is stuck) If you just gave away a registered machinegun the BATF would frown upon it. (And you would go to jail)

zaibatsu
May 8th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Stop this arguing now. It IS sensible to advise him on legal issues when you aren't quite sure if they know (sometimes it's dubious), but the best way to do this is through email.

If you want to continue this argument take it to email, but I'll not allow it to continue in this thread.

stu460
September 27th, 2003, 04:11 AM
hi all,is there any way of telling if a mini 14 has already been converted to full auto,im not interested in doing it,just curious to know if its been done already before i test it,i hope not..

nbk2000
September 27th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Uh...load a magazine and hold back the trigger? Duh! :rolleyes:

eviIoIive
September 27th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Ok you can also wedge a paper clip between the sear and the reciever. I have tied this it worked fine and I am still alive with all body parts intact but I dont plan on doing it again. If you want a rifle that can easily and safely be converted to full auto buy a M1 carbine, its designed to be full auto.the design wih the rotating bolt does not allow the hammer to hit the firig pin untill the bolt is in the forward locked position. the mini14/30 full auto is not safe due to design.

DeviantSaint
October 6th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Although FA weapons definately have a cool factor to them, in my experience an FA or even some burst weapons, are not necessary. This is my opinion about rifles. The m16 family in particular. The weapon climbs way too much to be useful on full auto. The current U.S. m4 has full auto setting rather than the 3rd burst setting that the 16a2 has. Firing either weapon I never was able to shoot very accurately in FA or in burst. FA is good for cover fire or with heavier weapons like SAW's, 60's, M2HB's, and 240B's. For a rifle, well it's not nearly as useful as decent aim, a clear head, and single trigger pulls.

if you really need to put more than one round into him, then pull the trigger twice.

it's more about precision and tactics than overwhelming force. No matter how fearsome a weapon is, if you can't control it then it's not any use to you.

also think of the bystander issue in urban combat.

Just my two cents though.

lowjack
February 15th, 2005, 01:15 AM
I'm sure there are other ways to get a semi-auto ruger mini-14 to bark out fully automatic fire....But I do believe the full auto ruger wasnt called a mini-14 , but a ACC556's (auto version of Mini14) ,and its reciever was built differently.

Paladin Press sells a book which I've studied and the suggested modifications are very similar that of the AC556, sans the three shot burst feature of the AC556. Modification requires some drilling & tapping on the receiver (and even without the full auto parts installed, is easily recognized by a trained LEO as a converted firearm), fabrication of a rocker arm (trip lever for link) and a few other parts.
Taken from :4V50 Gary /The firing line /fullauto forums.

Third_Rail
February 22nd, 2005, 12:56 AM
There is a way to LEGALLY get a Mini-14 to double... one shot upon trigger pull, one shot upon release.

ATF letter and all.

MAKE SURE THE GUN IS UNLOADED FIRST, of course. First, field-strip your Mini-14 per the instruction manual. With the trigger group in your hand, examine the area in the photo below. Now, take a staple from a standard paper stapler. Bend or cut one leg until it falls off. Insert the staple so that the long part is underneath the secondary sear circled in the photo below. Push the sear hard against the staple so that it crushes it down into its curved channel. Now, reassemble and dry-fire. While you continue to hold down on the trigger, retract and release the slide. When you release the trigger, the hammer should fall again.

Now, of course, this isn't the best way to do it, but it's legal, cheap, and works. If you do it right, you can get the staple to stay in there pretty good and not fall out on a long range session, so I've been told.

To address what was said about it's utility... I agree. You have to fire that second shot, no matter what. This is certainly not safe without a little mental fortitude, but it's not intended to be safe, it's a down-and-dirty way of getting rapid fire and burning up ammo. Before anybody else jumps in and questions my sanity, I'm not suggesting that anybody do this. It's dangerous and can cause injury or death if you aren't careful. I'm not going to assume any responsibility for anybody's stupid actions. DON'T DO IT. If you are stupid enough to try it, you must make a mental shift in your thinking. When you pull the trigger, RELEASE IT. Duh. It's that simple. What you end up with is a 'double-tap' every time. If you work the trigger the same way each time, you can probably get pretty good with it.

You must follow the simple procedure of RELEASING THE TRIGGER IMMEDIATELY AFTER YOU FIRE

I'd post the picture but I have no webspace.

nbk2000
February 22nd, 2005, 07:07 PM
E-mail it to a mod and we'll handle it for you. :)

Third_Rail
February 22nd, 2005, 07:43 PM
Thank you very much NBK, but I just realized that this forum allows attachments.

Hopefully this picture helps. I'll attach the letter from the ATF later on.