View Full Version : M1 Garand and M1 Carbine - Archive File

Anthony
March 17th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Oliver K
A new voice
posted February 13, 2001 10:00 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Im from Canada and i was wondering if ne one knows where i can find a M1 garand for sale..i have not seen ne ever for sale...maybe im not looking in the right places...
Also does ne one know if the M2 bolt will fit in the m1 carbine making it selectable fire...or is it the m3 bolt that i need..

THANKS for UR HELP again GUYS!

HMTD Factory
Frequent Poster
posted February 14, 2001 02:56 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<a href="http://WWW.MILARM.COM" target="_blank">WWW.MILARM.COM</a>
no experience with M1 Garand or Carbine.

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted February 14, 2001 05:57 PM
I Know for a fact that they are legal and not that expensive. Try a GUN SHOW or two.

------------------
A wise man once said:
"... As He Waits For The Time When The Last Become First And,
The First Shall Become last"
--RATM

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

Oliver K
A new voice
posted February 14, 2001 07:04 PM
Thanks all of you guys...That site about millarms especially...LOTS of CHEAP GOOD GUNS...well rifles...
And thanks about the gun show advice...yeah i used to go..but lately the ones in my area of not been operation..maybe their new sesion did not start or something..i have to get one of their sheduels..

THANK AGAIN!

The Real
Frequent Poster
posted February 15, 2001 12:18 AM
M1 to M2 conversion requires the bolt, auto sear, selector, and I believe a few holes drilled. I do know for sure it's more than a bolt.

Isotoxin
October 3rd, 2004, 05:18 PM
I happen to own an M1 Garand. I got it from my grandfather who passed it on to me when he died. Its in very nice shape.

neo-crossbow
June 15th, 2006, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=Anthony]
Im from Canada and i was wondering if ne one knows where i can find a M1 garand for sale..i have not seen ne ever for sale...maybe im not looking in the right places...
Also does ne one know if the M2 bolt will fit in the m1 carbine making it selectable fire...or is it the m3 bolt that i need..

THANKS for UR HELP again GUYS!
[\QUOTE]

You might also want to try a jig. Its 3 holes....

in the US the parts are now class III so good luck in Canada. There used to be plans floating around for the parts to be made (sorry its been years since I have seen them)

A few different mods that I have come across are ' pinching RC556 bits of mini-14's and fitting the whole trigger pack (a major bottom end job) a modded angle on the stop of the trigger sear and a new retainer scratch built that held the hammer until the bolt was fully closed.

I reccomend the M1 carbine as it realisticly was the first short stroke gas action, is mild on recoil and can have large cap mags even in restricted states (exc CA) here in aus, well those days have passed anyway.

People will tell you that m1 ammo won't do the job, its underpowered ect ect. I've seen what it does with a .22 sabot and with a 110 gn JSP to all sorts of animals and I am glad I wasn't one of them!!!

The brass can also be made from .223 rem if you have good dies and take a little time, i've done that in the past when M1 brass was just puss on the market! Best of luck

Shaker
February 27th, 2007, 05:46 PM
The easiest way to get an M1 Garand for a decent price would be through the Civilian Marksmanship program. To be most effective, I would suggest that you enter the Small Arms Firing School coming up at the end of July at Camp Perry, Ohio.

What this does, is gives you '50 rounds fired in competition' - Which will allow you to start purchasing from the CMP. They have thousands of surplus Garands. If you attend the Small Arms Firing School, you can purchase up to eight Garands per year.

It would help to know what you are looking at, though. Being surplus rifles, one could be a crowbar and the next could be immaculate. If you want any sort of quality - Bring your trusty bore and throat gauges with you. Check for matching serial numbers. There will be enough open to the public to make a choice.

Though I am new here, I enjoy you people and the wonderful information that you share. Due to this, I will let you in on some closet information. This year, for the first time in history, the CMP will be selling M1 Carbines.

They have the largest stockpile of M1 Carbines in the world. The rules will be different than the sales of the Garands, however, because of the expected frenzy. For more information, feel free to ask me.

InfernoMDM
February 28th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Making a M1 into full auto seems almost pointless to me. People have a hard enough time trying to shoot several of the modern, much heavier, machine guns. I can't see this being very useful. The M1 is better aimed not sprayed.

Sampson1986
August 6th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Making a M1 into full auto seems almost pointless to me. People have a hard enough time trying to shoot several of the modern, much heavier, machine guns. I can't see this being very useful. The M1 is better aimed not sprayed.

I agree.

At over $25 for a box of .30 Carbine cartridges, you'd have to have to be a rich man to feed an M2.

November 18th, 2008, 10:14 PM
The brass can also be made from .223 rem if you have good dies and take a little time...

The rim diameter is much smaller on the .30 carbine brass, you could make the rim smaller on a lathe, but you would still have to deal with the wider case web area, which the resizing die won't size down, I've tried, it's really not worth 10 minutes per case.

...or is it the m3 bolt that i need...

The M-3 carbine was the same thing as the M-2 carbine, only with a night vision scope mount [a big deal when it was brought out].