View Full Version : ipecac as a potential incapacitant?

jlwilliams
October 16th, 2008, 06:49 AM
I got to thinking about syrup of ipecac as a possable defensive tool. It's definitely an unpleasant substance and may well be enought to stop most anybody in their tracks. An attacker would be hard pressed to harm you while the entire contents of his intestines are running hard in reverse gear. Pepper spray being illegal in many places, more as time goes by I'm sure, something else may be called for as a defensive measure for the DIYer. Problem is testing the effect with any sort of delivery. I know just opening a bottle and smelling it is more than most people want to do. It's available enough since it's used for first aid and should be kept on hand anyway. I just haven't worked up the courage to spray some in my face and who the hell could I ask to try it if I won't? Do any of you have any experience with this stuff? What sort of effect could one expect from exposure to ipecac by means other than swallowing the little ampule of the wretched stuff?

festergrump
October 16th, 2008, 12:01 PM
If you read the directions on the bottle it says to drink about 16 oz. of water with the dosage to induce vomiting. This is probably to give the stomache a good flush in the event there are no other fluids already in there (OD on pills, etc).

It takes usually five minutes or so to take effect, also, and most attacks are long over before that time has been reached.

I really don't see how you'd administer a good dosage to an attacker and make it work as supposed, but it'd make a good revenge tool for a blabbering loudmouth at a bar you frequent.

For attackers in an area where pepperspray is illegal to carry, I'd opt for concentrated capciacin juice in a Visine bottle or similar. Lots of people I know carry Visine with them just due to alergies. (a good squirt of regular old Visine in someones drink will cause their "other" end to errupt, or so I'm told).

jlwilliams
October 17th, 2008, 06:24 AM
I have heard of Visine being used as other than an eye soother, but what I heard was different. I think I'm going to try it and find out what, if anything, Visine does when taken orally. I'll report back with my findings.

hatal
October 17th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I have heard of Visine being used as other than an eye soother, but what I heard was different. I think I'm going to try it and find out what, if anything, Visine does when taken orally. I'll report back with my findings.

Yeah Visine. It even has its own wiki-page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visine#Visine_Prank

All that because of? Movies and TV-shows. Man, I hate TV. But Im wandering, sorry.

Eye-drops "main ingredient" is tetrahydrozoline. And it isnt meant for oral use. Diarrhea is just one possibility and death is another. See rest for (stupid) wiki-page. But there is also a way better page (if I remember correctly // I really hope) the RS Tetrahydrozoline thread. (If there isnt, than there should be one. Very interesting chemical. Maybe suitable for weaponization.)

iHME
October 18th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Tetrahydrozoline looks very promising in terms of weaponization.

But on the topic. One could "reload" a AXE brand or similar anti-persperant bottle with capciacin and/or piperine suspended in a solvent of choise.

The process to reload a pressurised aerosol bottle is rather easy.

Get the vesel to be pressurised, make sure it is empty.

Get a spray can, empty also.

Make sure that the spray can is empty, then poke a hole in its rear.
Add a bicycle valve there (epoxy it to place), the type where you can change the valve by screwing it off. Screw the valve off, fill with the mixture of choise.
Screw the valve back.

Pressurise the spray bottle, with compressed air, be careful, too much and it "might" explode.

Use a short lenght of tubing that fits the spray can "nipple" (the thing that is seen after the spray nozzle is removed) remove the spray assembly from the axe bottle.

Connect the spray and axe bottle with the tube.

Place the axe bottle on the bottom and the spray bottle on top.
Push the tube so that both bottles valves are open, thus moving the pressurised liquid from the spray bottle to the axe bottle.

Now you have a untempered looking axe bottle with the filler of your choise.

---
I think I have to do a tutorial with pictures to clarify this one.
I got the idea from some "prank" where one filled ones "friends" axe bottle with green paint :)

Intrinsic
October 18th, 2008, 06:29 PM
For those who might like a visual of iHME's axe can refill procedure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY48CTO_L-c

iHME
October 18th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Thanks Intrinsic, fast delivery. That is exactly the video I was talking about.
But the bicycle valve is my own addition.
And having a refillable spray bottle would have some uses for me anyways, so making it and a small tutorial at the same should not pose a too big problem.

Cobalt.45
October 18th, 2008, 07:30 PM
For those seeking an "off the shelf" sprayer:p (even though I do like homemade better, too), Harbor Freight sells a refillable aerosol canister w/adjustable tip: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=1102