View Full Version : New rimfire ammo - Archive File

Anthony
March 17th, 2003, 09:10 PM
HMTD Factory
Frequent Poster
posted February 26, 2001 02:13 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aguila will be introducing three new rimfires
soon(with compatible firearms.)
"Goliath" (heavy weight .22mag)

".223 rimfire" (I have no idea or info about what this is. It might look like a .223 remington.....or a banana.)

".17 rimfire" (or 17/22LR)

From what I eavesdropped from a rimfire forum the .17rimfire is based on .22LR and can fly
at 1900fps.

Volquartsen Custom will be making Ruger 10/22 chambered in this caliber. Another manufacturer will be making Ruger MK II chambered for .17/22LR

I havn't heard anything from major gun manufacturers' response to this new caliber yet. (Should be just a barrel changing job, don't worry)

I assume the new .17 bullet will be different than .17 bullets for .17 centerfires because
it's going to be a rimfire bullet, like a mini .22LR bullet. So there's a chance that the new .17 will be something other than
.172 centerfire, jacketed bullet.

Will that .17 bullet like your .178/.179 airgun bore? You'll have to wait till more info is available. Or I'll measure the real dimension of the bullet when I can get some.

Before that there's time for you airgun FIENDS to think about how to re-chamber that
beat-up old airgun under your bed into a unregistered "cartridge processor".

IMO side-lever airguns are more possible to turn into a successful firearm since the breech will not blast loose or blast open under high pressure like a break-action airgun.

Did I mention some of you people are really
airgun FIENDS?

Bitter
Frequent Poster
posted February 26, 2001 09:06 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A .25 acp round will fit perfectly into a .25 air rifle barrel with minimal machining. I think that would be a little better. I wonder where could you get one of these barrels from without attracting attention ?

HMTD Factory
Frequent Poster
posted February 26, 2001 04:51 PM
Airgun bores, re-chamber, modified firing mechanism.
Where can you find a ".25 airgun barrel" without attracting attention?

HMTD Factory
Frequent Poster
posted February 26, 2001 05:01 PM
Some updates :
Workers at Aguila got over with the strike,
the first 25 million .17/22LR will be in the US in March.

The .17/22 will use old magazines as is except for Ruger MK IIs where the magazine lips will need to be changed.

zaibatsu
March 18th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Just to clarify, I believe the .17 rimfire is based on a .22 Mag case necked down to .17 rather than a .22lr.

irish
March 19th, 2003, 06:42 AM
Zaibatsu is right about the magnum bit, below is a link that has a pic of them.

<a href="http://www.impactguns.com/store/hornady_17vmax.html" target="_blank">http://www.impactguns.com/store/hornady_17vmax.html</a>

they do look a bit like a mini .223 in rimfire.