View Full Version : "Chemical Demonstrations" by Shakashiri

Khalnath
October 24th, 2008, 10:26 PM
My chemistry professor lent me "Chemical Demonstrations: A Handbook for Teachers of Chemistry" by Bassam Z. Shakhashiri. It is a series of four volumes about chemical reactions chosen essentially for their fun factor, intended to be used in demonstrations to engage student attention. Has anyone else read it before? It contains synthesis instructions for small batches of nitrogen triiodide and acetone peroxide with appropriate safety warnings. I don't have easy access to a document scanner, but I could post some of my favorite entries if there is interest, as the book is mostly text with a few simple diagrams and occasional chemical structures.

iHME
October 25th, 2008, 11:31 AM
If you have a digital camera you could just take some pictures of the pages and post them.
The pictures are usually readable, but not in the same league as proper scans.

You could also place a glass plate on top of the book to "flatten" it out for better picture taking.

ChippedHammer
October 25th, 2008, 01:17 PM
If you have the time and just a normal scanner slowly scan it, do a few pages every now and then.

Sounds like a interesting book to have.

Khalnath
October 25th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I have no scanner at all, and only a camera phone that is not really up to the task.