View Full Version : "Underground Science" article

monkeyboy
November 11th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Chemical & engineering news (http://pubs.acs.org/cen/science/86/8645sci1.html) has an article about "How Regulations Hamper Chemical Hobbyists"
Discussion at slashdot (http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/11/11/150231)
Both a good read.

sbovisjb1
November 12th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Chemical & engineering news (http://pubs.acs.org/cen/science/86/8645sci1.html) has an article about "How Regulations Hamper Chemical Hobbyists"
Discussion at slashdot (http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/11/11/150231)
Both a good read.

It was a good read. The operator from Sciencemadness allways gets cited in these sorts of articles. We don't. :p

For chemists who just want to run a lab as a hobby, figuring out which laws and regulations apply to them can be a daunting task. "It's pretty easy to find federal-level regulations regarding storage, transport, and handling of hazardous materials," says Matthew Ernst, founder of the chemistry hobbyists' forum sciencemadness.org. "Most of those regulations wouldn't apply to hobbyists or even small businesses because they have threshold quantity exemptions."

I wouldn't bother. I would rather take my chances where I live and not to bother.

Thompson suggests that would-be home chemists avoid the Drug Enforcement Administration's List I chemicals, which the agency tracks closely. "There's also a DEA List II, but most of the chemicals on it are so common that there's no hope of tracking them," he says. "These are chemicals that you can buy literally by the gallon at hardware stores."

Like I said, even if you have a license and are caught with those (like most here have) you are screwed anyways.

"I find it demoralizing to sit in front of the television all day."

I think the Government would find it a lot easier if we all just did that. ;):p

Alexires
November 12th, 2008, 07:12 PM
It was a good read. The operator from Sciencemadness allways gets cited in these sorts of articles. We don't.

Nahh, we probably don't because we don't have a nice cuddly name like "Science Madness". Still, we get cited in literature, which is more important in my opinion. Perhaps we will get some members who are people that actually read these journal articles, as opposed to the ever present spawn of illiterate trailer park parents.

megalomania
November 24th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Hell, the media will not even name this site regarding nbk's murder charges. I would have to change our name to A Certain Website to get a media credit :( Even the one interview I gave about the site didn't even include the name for god's sake.

Not that I am complaining, although it may sound like it. I could do without the hit to the server from the sudden influx of thousands of new members, plus umpteen thousands of looky loos.

It's my own fault for not developing more "legitimate" aspects of the site. I stick to what I know best and what the people want. Someone has to have the balls to have an open dialog about explosives without degenerating into kewl ignorance or professional holier-than-thou elitism.

People seem to find us despite my best intentions. I don’t have the kind of ego that requires public attention, quite the opposite actually because I am modest about the success of the site. I am only doing what every website should be doing. The only critic I need to worry about is myself.

Killy
November 25th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Its better for the site to not be publicized in media, as it could obviosly lead to its closing, and more police attention.
The less (people) they know the better, site should be elite, not prostituted in media.

sbovisjb1
November 25th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Hell, the media will not even name this site regarding nbk's murder charges. I would have to change our name to A Certain Website to get a media credit :( Even the one interview I gave about the site didn't even include the name for god's sake.

Is there a link to this interview?

Lewis
November 25th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Is there a link to this interview?

I am also curious. Hopefully it was a reputable online news source.

megalomania
November 25th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Oh no, wrong attitude... I don't want to be elite, and there is nothing going on here that should be illegal to begin with. There is the rub, the knee jerk reaction people get when they see the site is all wrong. That is what I need to change. We should not be persecuted criminals just for exploring science, this is the real tragedy.

Yes, there is a link, no I will not tell you guys what it is since some of it is about me personally.