View Full Version : An easier way to use information.

breadtrk
November 12th, 2008, 02:14 PM
While searching for a certain piece of information I have found your fourm, great place. In my search I found the following post which I will quote.

""May I make a suggestion? I love books, and like to read as much as possible, of every kind to topic. But, over the decades, and this is written with the perspective of time, there is a condition that is common to man, that of "ever learning, but never coming to a knowledge of the truth."

Find a few things you can memorize, learn, and actually do. Those are the things that will count, not large libraries that are often redundant volumes of the same material.

Memorization of large amounts of material will require sitting down and writing it out, again and again, until it is your own and you can work that data by applied example (as you will see it used in life), by name (as referenced by others), and by formula (by formal presentation). The same pattern applies to combatives -- by practicing a few things that work for your abilities, and then practicing those moves until they are yours reflexively.

Large libraries are a joy to read, but the samurai would differentiate between the ones who could do and the men who "smelled of books." They perceived that true knowledge was that which you could do.

In defense of reading, it is a wonderful pursuit. But, if people are hoping their large library will save them in some difficulty, most of the time it is what is reflexive to our ability that actually comes out in crisis. I say this as a man who "smells of books", an archivist-historian by training, but one with some life experience. Learn by doing.

In defense of practice and action, most of life is "no harm, no foul" (to use a sports analogy). However, please be careful about what laws apply to your jurisdiction. It's easy to cross invisible lines, and end up marked for life by it. Likewise please practice such care toward others, even if they don't seem to care much for you.

From reading other posts in this forum, I know my remarks sound at odds to many posts, but this is the perspective of time. We validate ourselves by our actions, and if I want to read odd books about bombs and other non-standard topics, others who watch my life will judge me by how I use information. Cultivating an attitude of credible care toward others counts, especially when we deal in the types of book titles given above.

This is the kind of concern that comes from being either old enough to be your father or your uncle, but some times it's a good word to hear.""

Looks like BS to me but maybe the writer actually thinks like a philosopher. No one tries to memorize all of this.

I have a suggestion to help with being able to USE the tons of information found here and elsewhere. Hard drive space is cheap now, get some. I have been in the habit of copying all my books and manuals into both a very large word file and a PDF file. This way I can quickly search for information as the need comes up. There are many search tools that will index your files but there is no search on this planet as quick as a single document search.

Just an idea, your mileage will vary.

Alexires
November 12th, 2008, 07:37 PM
So let me get this straight.

You have quoted an ENTIRE post (which you didn't even reference) in your first post on The Forum which also happens to be a new thread (when there were plenty of other threads this could have been in) just to add that you buy a big hard drive and OCR your documents for fast searching? :mad:

Newbies, this is an example of what you should not do when you first come here. Use the search engine, DO NOT quote whole posts, do not post unless you have something USEFUL to contribute.

Quoting whole posts is a quick way to piss of the Moderators because it simultaneously shows you are too fucking lazy to cut the bit out that you are replying to, and shows that you don't care about what you are posting.

megalomania
November 24th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Now there is something worth memorizing :)