View Full Version : Glycerin and Salt Water Taffy (holiday treat)

mrtnira
November 15th, 2008, 12:43 AM
The holiday season is coming quickly, and if you're up to it you can make your own taffy as a gift. And in keeping with this being the Rogue Science Forum, this salt water taffy "formula" (recipe) uses glycerin!

Actually, I did this as a kid and it was a lot of fun.

The recipe and "how to" instructions can be found on The Accidental Scientist, Science of Cooking website: http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/candy/recipe-taffy.html

The on-line article includes photographs about the cooking process! And, it includes explanations of why cornstarch and cornsyrup are used, and what glycerin is. The food version of Rogue Science....

• 2 cups sugar
• 2 tablespoons cornstarch
• 1 cup light corn syrup
• 2 teaspoons glycerin (optional)
• 3/4 cup water
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 to 1 teaspoon flavoring (such as vanilla, lemon, maple, or mint)
• 3 drops food coloring (optional)

Everyone have a great holiday season, and be safe!

Lewis
November 15th, 2008, 05:56 PM
The next step should be a guide for nitrating taffy. What better way to spread holiday cheer than a few taffy torpedoes? :p

festergrump
November 15th, 2008, 07:37 PM
The next step should be a guide for nitrating taffy.

I was waiting for something similar as the tie-in/punchline, but it never came. Something along the lines of the Nazi chocolate candybar boobythrap bomb thing someone posted pic of some time ago... :(

"No soup for you!" :p

mrtnira
November 15th, 2008, 11:50 PM
The whole idea of nitrating it completely went by me when first posting the taffy formula. In truth, it was a holiday-fun-in-the-kitchen suggestion for guys and gals who like to mix, measure, and stir.

Can you imagine trying to pull the taffy after nitrating it?

Shocker!

Jome skanish
November 16th, 2008, 07:33 PM
I'm thinking Nitrotaffy would make a great heart-medicine.

Slogan:

"Grandpa's, give your grandchildren [generic candy]"
"Grandchildren, give your grandpa NitroTaffy if he's turning blue"

Alexires
November 18th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Turn your home into a palace of holiday cheer!

Taffy not quite doing it for you? Break out the mixed acids and start-a nitrating.
Need to spice up your love life? Grab your KY jelly and nitrate that too! Sure to give you more "bang in the sack".
Toffee and KNO3 doubles as both an awesome treat for the kids and a rocket fuel. What more could you want?

Come to RS.org for the festive season, we know how to hot up your yearly corporate holiday!