View Full Version : French websites provide interesting stories.

mrtnira
November 15th, 2008, 08:32 PM
"Accidental Chemists..."

http://www.liberation.fr/societe/0101266134-explosion-a-montpellier-un-accident-d-apprentis-chimistes

These started out making firecrackers, and ended up making TATP. The translation is from Google. My French isn't that good.

"According to Russian custom, to celebrate its 20th anniversary, we must make noise, especially with firecrackers. That is in part caused the explosion that injured seven, including two serious, Wednesday, around 4 pm, at the university of Montpellier in Triolet, "said this morning the regional daily Midi Libre.

The tenant of the room, Daniil, born on 12 November 1988 in St. Petersburg and French nationality, had invited six young friends for her birthday. Inscribed in the first year of electrical engineering, he had previously studied chemistry for one year. It has prepared a preparation explosive, according to a recipe he had unearthed on the Internet. Mixing above its sink several ingredients, including potassium nitrate, sulfuric acid and iron filings with the help of two of his friends, he managed to get TATP (triacétone triperoxide), " a liquid granular unstable and dangerous. "

Daniil had to take a game to make it explode like a big firecracker. But the song incandescent hit the rest of the preparation, a priori involuntarily. While the liquid exploded, causing damage and many injuries. Four youths were this morning still in custody since their release from the hospital Wednesday evening.

"Two smoked a cigarette on the balcony and two others slept at the foot of the bed at the time of the explosion," said Midi Libre. A fifth, wanted by the police, presented himself to the police yesterday and was remanded in custody. The last two, most seriously injured are still in hospital. One could be heard by the SRPJ in the day.

Several under investigation could follow, including "voluntary degradation explosive movable in conditions that expose people to danger body" and "possession of goods or returning substances in the composition of explosive." However , The track terrorist is eliminated.

Alexires
November 18th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Wow, KNO3, H2SO4, Fe -> AP? What an epic fail that is and it is apparently "An unstable granular liquid". Anyone that has thought about synthing AP knows that it is relatively insensitive (compared to dry) when it is still precipitating out.

I can just see it now. The AP falls out of solution, and its new evil awareness detects someone smoking on the balcony. Using its awesome power of "boolscheet" it magically dries itself out, and summons a cigarette from the balcony to set itself off.

It is a pity that people are not more educated to see what a crock of shit this all is. If people were more educated, this wouldn't happen. Instead we need "censorship" to make sure we don't hurt ourselves with the sharp knives of knowledge.

megalomania
November 24th, 2008, 07:41 PM
That’s either a bad translation, or bad journalism. If that man made acetone peroxide from the ingredients he was using we may have to call the Nobel Prize committee. More than likely he made a variety of substances, including AP, one of which detonated.

Ahh, such a sweet language French is; a liquid granular unstable and dangerous… A poetic way of saying acetone peroxide is bad, very bad.

Alexires
November 26th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I can just see it now - their cleaning products have "liquid granular unstable and dangerous" on the back to make people cautious of how dangerous it really is.

sbovisjb1
November 26th, 2008, 08:12 PM
That’s either a bad translation, or bad journalism. If that man made acetone peroxide from the ingredients he was using we may have to call the Nobel Prize committee. More than likely he made a variety of substances, including AP, one of which detonated.

Ahh, such a sweet language French is; a liquid granular unstable and dangerous… A poetic way of saying acetone peroxide is bad, very bad.

Which is why I often (sorry folks) tell people to start off with ETN instead of Acetone Peroxide.

megalomania
November 27th, 2008, 03:48 AM
How about this article, http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-france/2008/05/29/01016-20080529ARTFIG00667-front-antiradar-un-troisieme-homme-interroge.php

I don't know what it says, but I know it is about some guy who blew both of his hands off handling AP for a bomb to destroy traffic cameras. Normally I would be critical, but I think his cause is noble. He didn't deserve what happened to him.

I don't suppose anyone can produce a meaningful translation of the article, can they?

mrtnira
November 27th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Front anti: A third man questioned

lefigaro.fr avec AFP lefigaro.fr with AFP
29/05/2008 | Mise à jour : 20:43 29/05/2008 | Updated: 20:43 | Commentaires 3 | | Investigators want as part of the investigation into the Fnar which rebounded Thursday after an explosion in Clichy-la-Garenne, in the Hauts-de-Seine.

After the explosion Wednesday at Clichy-la-Garenne, which put the police on the trail of a postman hospitalized in critical condition and led to the arrest of a colleague, a third postman was remanded in custody sight Wednesday.

This man is a former colleague of Frederick Rabiller, the postman seriously wounded while handling an explosive device at him. It is questioned since Wednesday evening at the headquarters of the SDATA (terrorism subcommittee) in Levallois-Perret in connection with the investigation. His custody was extended Thursday.

Also at the SDATA, the neighbor of Frederick Rabiller also postman, was taken into custody Wednesday morning, just after the explosion. The homes of two postal workers arrested were searched but to no avail, according to a source close to the case. She said that the two men are not considered a priori as accomplices of Frederick Rabiller. Wednesday, the Paris prosecutor Jean-Claude Marin also stated about the neighbor of the victim is a "close friend" but it "does not mean accomplice."

Quelqu'un d'«introverti» Someone of "introverted"

Two postal workers have explained in custody have been surprised to see burn marks on the face of Frederick Rabiller a few months ago. According to their statements, they suspected he was engaging in experiments, but without suspecting the nature of them. They describe the man as someone of "introverted", which is entrusted to anyone.

The group claimed a dozen attacks against radars road in the Paris region. "We have sufficient reason to believe that we have at least one member of this FNAR, Wednesday felt about it Jean-Claude Marin. According to the prosecutor of Paris, "a lonely boy" could be "the only member of the nationalist anti front."

megalomania
November 29th, 2008, 07:45 PM
An nationwide terrorist organization with one member. Sounds like the French are taking a page from the Bush propaganda handbook. I doubt the authorities will even consider for a SECOND what policies they have put in place could have motivated a man to commit these acts. Nope, can't be the fedgov, gotta be those bomb websites.