View Full Version : Semi liquid propellant "ANA"

Dr_Pind
November 25th, 2008, 01:36 PM
While studying liquid explosives, and looking for a propellant that used ammonium nitrate instead of the more known hydroxy-ammonium nitrate, I ran across a propellant based on AN + alcohol. The propellant was created by simply mixing powdered or prilled AN with an alcohol. It has been tested under laboratory conditions with ethanol as the fuel, and smokeless powder as an igniter. It is possible to change its properties by using different types of alcohol, varying the amount oxidizer to fuel, and probably by using finer or coarser AN.
I'm not sure, but i think it is supposed to work as a high density propellant for high velocity guns for ballistic tests. Since it gives relatively large amounts of nitrogen and hydrogen, it might be possible to use it in a one-stage light gas gun to achieve high velocities. It was proposed that it be ignited by ohmic heating by the inventor. I think it would be highly compatible with the electrothermal-chemical approach, to controll its performance.

For more information search the keywords:
"ANA Propellant"
"Electrothermal Chemical"
on google.

Link to Wiki article on "Electrothermal-Chemical technology"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrothermal-chemical_technology

Any comments are welcome:)

funky monk
November 29th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Are you talking about a rocket propellant or one designed for firearms? I have a feeling this is designed for use as a rocket propellant but hey, I might be wrong