View Full Version : Sniper

herrbauer
August 18th, 2001, 10:42 PM
I'm looking for a small sniper rifle project. I've found some projects in other forums but none matches my query. The effective range must be over 100 metres. The caliber may be 5.5mm. The barrel can't be longer than 70 cm. Of course I'm not trying to kill anyone, I'm just adding ideas to my project. Thanx

Heavy Recoil
August 18th, 2001, 11:10 PM
Something improvised probably wont be accurate at 10 meters much less 100. since you use meters. you are probably not from the USA, while you have strict laws, over the lake, in the land of the semi-free, they are not that hard to get around. .30 cal. would be better, as machine gun barrels used to be found here (http://www.sportsmansguide.com) in .308. most parts (receivers no) can be ordered from the mail. 100meters will usually need to be rifled (read as very very hard) so complete impro. is difficult. 30 cal. is your best bet over there, too. has a bit more range and knockdown power (reliability, accuratcy, knockdown, range, rof, kick ass looks http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif ) greatest to trivial needs of a gun) you will need a already made barrel. then add an action. Ill get back to you on that, Thru the forum not email.

------------------
"I'm not an assassin. killing is more of a hobby with me."' Robert A. Heinlein

[This message has been edited by Heavy Recoil (edited August 18, 2001).]

Mr Cool
August 19th, 2001, 09:33 AM
You want a 5.5mm barrel? Then go get a .22 air rifle second hand and strip off the barrel. You could probably pick one up for £20 or less. You could also use it's trigger mechanism and stock.

Predator
August 19th, 2001, 12:31 PM
Air rifle barrel rifling would be too slow for a live round though.. the gyroscopic stability out at 100m probably wouldn't be fantastic

Mr Cool
August 19th, 2001, 01:02 PM
Ah, I didn't think of that. Well it'd be better than a smooth bore I bet!

Anthony
August 19th, 2001, 03:09 PM
Depends what you deem as "accurate" at 100m? If you want to hit a man size target, torso, or maybe even head then a .22 rimfire in a half sharp air rifle should be capable of that. You couldn't be confident of a kill with a rimmy though.

IIRC officially "sniping" doesn't start till past 600 or 700 yds.

twinkle
August 19th, 2001, 04:57 PM
If it has not to be made with a silencer you could use .22 WRM instead of .22 LR and when making it as a Bullpup-rifle you could made it very small though the killing range of a .22 lR is somewhere 400 m

[This message has been edited by twinkle (edited August 19, 2001).]

Victim
August 19th, 2001, 07:01 PM
If your thinking of a .313, you may want to try building it on the Vikers K machine gun design, although the calibre is .303, the muzzle velocity is 743m (2,445ft) per second, and has a range of 1,828m (2,000yards).
Although for a range of say 500meters this would be a slight overkill, but, if building it on the Vikers K machine gun, the design is pretty simple. I will try and get some plans from somewhere.

------------------
"Death, The End Of Hope, The Friend Of The Friendless..."

Predator
August 19th, 2001, 07:54 PM
In my books 'Accurate' is when you can hit your target to within a 1 inch diameter circle consistantly at a given distance, in this case, 100m

The only thing is, a 'half decent' air rifle/barrel that can contribute to achieving that costs quite a bit, and cheaper air-guns just won't cut the mustard.

I've come across airguns that were supplied with a spec sheet that read "accurate to 3cm diameter at 10 meters" ! http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/mad.gif

HMTD Factory
August 21st, 2001, 02:37 AM
A .22 air gun barrel may have enough rifling to stablize a centerfire bullet http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif
If the twist is 1-in-14 then it can shoot anything below 55 grain.
If the twist is 1-in-9 then it can shoot anything below 70 grain.

The US army use a 1-in-6 tight twist for NATO 62 grainers, but thats to enhance terminal ballistics.

An air gun barrel should have no problem as long as the groove diameter fits the rifle(AND thick enough for your chamber).
Say, the barrel is .226 and the bullet is .223, then you are hopeless for accuracy. On the other hand if the barrel is .219 and the bullet is .223 then you have pressure problem.

The power of your gun MUST be equal to or greater than .22 WMR to perform MOA.. If you don't handload then 223 Rem is your best friend.

My personal "Poor man's sniper rifle" is a Swedish mauser I found on a gunshow. It's cheaper than my SKS...but the most accurate rifle I own(handload shoots sub-half MOA, all the time).

Go to gunshows when you need gun parts, last time I spotted an unchambered .308 bull barrel 1 inch thick for 80$CDN., but my money is already gone.

AR-15 Man
August 21st, 2001, 01:13 PM
HMTD Factory are you sure the NATO twist is 1 in 6? I thought it was 1 in 7. Even stamped on my barrel and has NATO on it. Also good choice on the Swedish Mauser. They never used corrisve ammo so shot out barrels are hard to find. All I can get cheap is Mosin Nagents and Turk Mausers.

HMTD Factory
August 22nd, 2001, 03:46 AM
1-in-6 is the new U.S. twist, I dunno about NATO specs. Both Turk Mauser and Mosin are decent guns. I reload for Mosin (A Polish M44) but hasn't found a decent scope mount yet for accuracy tests.

For Mausers, pre-war or early wartime Mauser in Germany is very good, The best wartime Mauser I think are the ones made by BRNO under German capture, they are about as smooth as a custom rifle(It's true, I saw one before I can get it.)

I heard the Swedish stuff is drying up in the
US, but I still got myself another Swedish here in Canada, this time the rifle is stored in grease unfired.

If anybody is into a "poor man's sniper rifle" project, don't use Swedish Mausers, cuz they are MINE!http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif

HMTD Factory
August 26th, 2001, 08:37 PM
Ahh fenris you got what I was looking for...
The Erma .22 carbine, probably the only gas operated .22LR rifle in the world.

When it comes to M1 remakes...a company in Israel is offering new M1 carbine in either .30 carbine or MMJ5.7(.30 carb necked down to .22cal, makes the MMJ5.7 case a bit larger than the 5.7X28) The .22cal cartridge is very efficient, with less than 15grn. of powder the bullet will scream at 3000fps.

Agent Blak
August 26th, 2001, 09:41 PM
I would like to recomend the Lee/EndField .303 British;
holds ten rounds in the Mag and one in the chamber, Bolt Actiopn like all descent Snipers use, Cheap($100-300), Scope Mounts.
plus if .303 British brings down a deer with ease I don't think a human would be a problem.

If it is a Duce-Duce you are looking for i recomend an Ant-Shoot Target rifle. The Russians use a .22LR to snipe. the beautiful thing about them is they can be silenced with a beverage bottle and anything beyond 100m I would worry about silencing.

------------------
A wise man once said:
"...There Will Be No
Stand Off At High Noon
... Shoot'em In The Back
And, Shoot'em In The Dark"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

raptor1956
August 28th, 2004, 07:48 PM
I'm inclined to think that the terms "sniping" and ".22cal short barrel" are somewhat mutually exclusive!

zaibatsu
August 29th, 2004, 05:28 AM
I'm inclined to think that that's a useless post, bringing up an old thread without reason.

tdog49
August 29th, 2004, 10:59 PM
Aguila makes a 60 gr. .22lr cartridge that is subsonic. It carries more energy at 100+yds than most of the high velocity 30-40 gr. cartridges. They claim 10+inches of penetration into ballistic gelatin @ 200 yds. I have used these and they are a little dirty but do perform well. For premium accuracy you do need a 1 in 9 twist barrel--most 22lr barrels ar 1-14 or 1-16--.

Their website is here: www.aguilaammo.com/