View Full Version : Electromagnets on Gauss Gun

TariqMujahid
March 17th, 2002, 04:40 PM
On the post about Railguns, a few people mentioned the gauss gun; a linear accelerator. I found it very interesting, mainly because it can easily be made out of household materials. After thinking about it for a while, I considered several ways of how to make it as powerful as possible, as well as other ways to improve upon the design of it to make it more practical.

One idea involved having the magnets on the gun being electromagnets, therefore when you flipped a switch or something, the magnets would be charged for a split second, allowing the steel balls to move towards the magnets and shift their kinetic energy to the magnet and so on... After the shot, the electricity would be stopped and the steel balls between the magnets would be allowed to move back to their original positions. It would have a capacitor bank that charges up for each shot, and develops a high voltage to make the magnets as poweful as possible, hence making it shoot harder. Does anyone know if this idea of mine would actually work? And if so, what kind of results could i expect from this?

Mr Cool
March 17th, 2002, 05:03 PM
You seem to have a very strange idea of what a coil gun is...
Do a search on altavista.com or something. Try ("coil gun" and electromagnets and capacitors), you should get quite a few detailed instructions on how they can be built.

Ctrl_C
March 17th, 2002, 05:52 PM
he wasnt referring to a coil gun, rather the kinetic transfer magnet gun that i mentioned in the railgun thread.

this would work but a coil gun would be more efficient and easier. you really can get all that much speed from the other type because of firctional losses and heat gained by the marble. to obtain any appreciable speeds, you would have to have so many magnets that the ball would build up enough heat to melt.

nbk2000
March 18th, 2002, 01:35 AM
I'm constantly amazed at how people divert their energies into trival ideas that have no hope of success.

Do you REALLY think that you, with an obviously shoestring (literally) budget and no advanced engineering degree, can achieve what the US Military Industrial Complex, with unlimited funds and the best engineers and scientists in the world haven't in more than 20 years of experimenting?

Does that make any sense to you? I hope so, 'cause otherwise, you're living in La-La Land.

Now quite wasting our time with this nonsense.

This also applies to EMP, railguns, particle accelerators, cold-fusion, zero-point energy, perpetual motion, and other bullshit.

End topic.