View Full Version : Spud Gun

Ericm115
August 22nd, 2001, 02:42 AM
Im planning on making a pneumatic(sp.) spud gun, and since I dont have a compresser, I was thinking of adding an attatchment so I can refill It with my 24oz paintball tank. Any idea what the psi of a co2 paintball tank usually is? And how many shots I might get out of it?

Anthony
August 22nd, 2001, 10:02 PM
Around 800psi, probably quite a bit more on a hot day.

If you do this your gun will almost definitely explode. If you don't know what you're doing with high pressure gas don't mess with it.

CyclonitePyro
August 23rd, 2001, 12:04 AM
Hey, you could buy a remote, coiled or steel braided, buy a male plug adapter, the remote will come with one, install that on the side of the gun, then put the tank on the other side of the remote and use that little dial to let in just a bit of co2, put a pressure gauge on your gun to be safe.

DoH BoY
August 23rd, 2001, 10:20 AM
cyclonitepyro I think that would be a little to complicated finding just the right valve and all (especially one that will hold the pressure of a co2 tank). And id have to agree with anthony dont try anything untill u know 100% exactly what u are doing.

[This message has been edited by DoH BoY (edited August 23, 2001).]

CyclonitePyro
August 23rd, 2001, 09:43 PM
I don't think you understand what I am talking of, go here: http://www.calmedia.org/remote_systems.htm
The side that has a little knob is where you screw in your tank, then glue the other side into the chamber of your gun. Install a pressure gauge that goes through the chamber wall.
Turn the little knob clockwise on the end of the remote line and look at the pressure gauge, when the pressure reads close to the burst pressure of your PVC turn the knob counterclockwise to stop the flow of air from your co2 tank. then shoot.

[This message has been edited by CyclonitePyro (edited August 23, 2001).]

DoH BoY
August 24th, 2001, 12:56 AM
oh i see...
well that seems pretty safe to me.
but remember dont come too close to burst pressure or else BOOM!

Anthony
August 24th, 2001, 08:10 PM
That isn't safe! What if the valve sticks open? What if the pressure gauge isn't working properly? What if he accidentally leaves the valve open a fraction? The result is the gun exploding like a pipe bomb.

Even if the valve were shut off at say, 200psi, the pressure in the gun would still raise as the cold CO2 expands to room temperature. God forbid any liquid CO2 should pass into there!

The only safe way to do this would be with a regulator and probably a pressure relief valve fitted to the gun too.

CyclonitePyro
August 25th, 2001, 02:02 AM
They already thought of that, this is a worldwide sport, it wouldn't be this popular if co2 tanks blew up when you left them out in the sun, buy the top part of a co2 tank, glue that to the side of your gun, they have burst disks, pressure goes to high... pop shhhhhhhhhhh..., sure this is getting expensive but it's your arm, body, leg, face crotch at stake, but hey, your priceless.
With all that pressure behind the pin valve of a co2 tank, it won't stick shut.
And if you saw that the pressure was rising up just push the solonoid valve, or other valve opening mech. and let all the pressure shoot out.

BoB-
August 25th, 2001, 05:06 AM
We're not talking about paintball guns here, which have high-pressure regulators that prevent explosions. We're talking about PVC spudguns.

Besides dude, I saw a footpump capable of over 100psi in WalMart yesterday for $15.00 there's no need to risk your life with expensive Co2, just buy a bicycle pump.

AmonDin
August 31st, 2001, 03:19 AM
Jesus christ, anybody who has ever made a spudgun knows how stupid it is to put 1200 PSI of co2 into their pneumatic spud shooters designed for 75-200psi. I have a friend who asked me to do a conversion like this for him. I told him it was a bad idea, but he didn't believe me. So I did a little demonstration, I quick did a mock up compression chamber like you would find on a pneumatic spudgun, only with both ends sealed. I hooked it up with a few brass adapters to the large C02 tank I use to refill my 9oz pball tanks. I had us both hid behind a very large and thick concrete wall, flipped the valve, and BOOM. PVC shrapnel everywhere. I put a watermelon next to it to demonstrate the effect such an explosion would have on a person, the damn thing didn't have any pieces larger than 3" across left.

It convinced him to drop his idea and stick to a bycicle pump. I'm just happy he came to me instead of trying it himself. I don't want to find bits of my friend decorating his parent's garage, and I don't think any of you want that either.

Just drop the C02 idea and spring for a small compressor or bike tire pump. Small price to pay if you want to keep your hands/arms/internal organs attatched.

CyclonitePyro
September 2nd, 2001, 03:40 PM
I just noticed something about my idea, the pressure relief valve for C02 tanks lets air out at around 900psi, that's obviously not gonna work for a pvc spudgun.
If you can find a pressure relief valve under the rating for the PVC then I think this would be a perfectly safe idea.

Kdogg
September 3rd, 2001, 01:29 AM
I have a pneumatic spudgun with a 1 1/2 inch interchangeable barrel. I have a couple more sizes also. Anyways back to the subject. I just use an air compressor Or a foot pump. I would NEVER use c02. If you dont have an air compressor, buy a foot pump, or make a combustion gun.

------------------
Monkeyman

The_Coyote
September 3rd, 2001, 01:28 PM
at most adomotive stores they sell small compressers that run of the cigarette outlet in a car, they are capable of 300psi, i got one for 30 bucks canadian, quite cheap actually.

------------------
Gun control is being able to hit your target.