View Full Version : PVC Cement strong enough?

Ericm115
August 22nd, 2001, 09:25 PM
If i was to put two peices of pvc together, 1 being made to tightly overlap the other, and had coated them both with PVC cement, Would they hold in a combustion potato gun? I will be using that method for all peices except the endcap for the spray. Thanks

CyclonitePyro
August 22nd, 2001, 11:55 PM
That sounds like a rather silly question, since its invention, there have been thousands of spud guns made over the years made of PVC, I don't know of any other methods of putting two pieces together besides using glue and the best glue to use is the glue that's made for it!, PVC cement.
The correct way to do it is to prime both pieces with PVC primer which is methylene chloride which softens the PVC, then one puts on the glue and inserts the pieces together turning one piece 1/4 of a turn while inserting.
This method, the only method, literally make the two pieces one, it softens the two the bonds them together.
The PVC will burst out the sides rather then where you glued it, if it burst at all.
Make sure you use PVC cement not CPVC cement.

Sorry about the double post there, I hit submit and as it was loading I saw some mistakes and hit stop, then submitted the new one.

[This message has been edited by CyclonitePyro (edited August 22, 2001).]

DoH BoY
August 24th, 2001, 12:59 AM
PVC cement is pratically liquid PVC plastic.
kind of like liquid paper.

[This message has been edited by DoH BoY (edited August 24, 2001).]