View Full Version : Cannons

Monkeyman666
September 2nd, 2001, 01:06 AM
I am in the process of making a small .50 cannon. I am going to shape it a little in a matal lathe making it more realistic. Has anyone on here ever made one? I am wondering how much powder to use, It doesn't need to be able to hurl a ball 3 miles. Being it is a .50 caliber I am making it about 2 inches in diameter. Its about a foot and a half long. I will be using a 1/2 inch titanium drill bit in a drill press.

------------------
Monkeyman

Anthony
September 2nd, 2001, 08:50 PM
That's going to have to be a damn long drill bit...

Kdogg
September 3rd, 2001, 01:17 AM
It is.

------------------
Monkeyman

SMAG 12B/E5
September 21st, 2001, 12:15 AM
You mentioned shaping the cannon in a lathe.Why not drill the device in the lathe, assuring a more likely chance of a concentric bore.

Agent Blak
September 21st, 2001, 10:49 AM
Let me get this straight you are going to make a .50 cal cannon that is 2" in Diameter. so you will have a wall thickness of .750 +/- .015. what type of metal are you going to use for this? High Carbon Steel, Mild, Cold rolled, hot rolled, Al, Bronze, Brass...
What do you plan on using for a propellent.

------------------
A wise man once said:
"...There Will Be No
Stand Off At High Noon
... Shoot'em In The Back
And, Shoot'em In The Dark"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

EventHorizon
September 21st, 2001, 09:46 PM
I know someone who made just a cannon, .50cal and all. I was an absolute masterpeice!!!! He scaled it down from replica confederate plans he'd found somewhere I think. Even painted it the rigth color and made the spoke wheels. The thing was gorgeous. Printed a nice group at 25yds too. Used FFFg powder and IIRC ~60grains. Its was a bronze barrel too btw.

------------------
-chance favors a prepared mind-
PGP ID 0x147CEF54