View Full Version : detonaters for munitions

drstrangelove
May 12th, 2002, 05:52 PM
After spending time learning how to produce reliable explosives and detonate them I now want to concentrate on improvised explosive wepons.
I worry about improvised primarys in the wepons exploding when subjected to rough treatment like running, jumping, throwing them, and other outdoor activities.
I definatly don't trust the peroxides for personal use so I was wondering what primary is least sensitive to shock, friction, temperature changes and static electricity but still works well and can be produces at home without anything to exotic.

kingspaz
May 12th, 2002, 06:31 PM
haha...all good things need exotic ingredients. i think however silver azide may be a good idea if you can obtain the sodium azide from car airbags. its more powerful than lead azide and maybe if cast with NC it could be dam good.

Microtek
May 13th, 2002, 04:06 AM
Well, if you take a look in Misc at the topic called improvised sodium azide you'll find a way to make silver azide ( or lead azide for that matter ). The chemicals needed are:
sodium hypochlorite
NH4OH
gelatine ( as used in cooking )
sulfuric acid
ice
lead
nitric acid ( any conc. )
NaOH
demineralized or distilled water ( tap water is useless for this lab )
ethanol
isopropyl ( or butyl ) alcohol
silver ( or lead )
nitrite ( can be made from nitrate reduced with lead )

I think that was all of them. Of course you need some good way of protecting yourself from the intermediaries which are rather poisonous, but this is not really hard to do; most of the reactions can be left un-attended most of the time, if you just come back to check on them every so often. These checks can be done while holding your breath as they only take a few seconds. If the reaction is done outdoors or with some improvised ventilation system, you should be allright.