View Full Version : exploding rifle slugs?

bombman
May 24th, 2001, 08:08 PM
I was wondering how do you make exploding rifle slugs. Iv searched the net but everything I found was some super unstable kewl thing. any help is appreciated.

BoB-
May 24th, 2001, 11:39 PM
Well, Rifle's have more pressure and higher velocitys, so almost any High explosive that is sensitive enough to detonate from target contact could explode in the barell.

I really dont see the point though man, the amount of explosive a rifle "bullet" could carry is small, and the explosive probably wouldnt end up causing anymore damage than the bullet alone.

Heavy Recoil
May 25th, 2001, 01:07 PM
NBK 2000 has a file on shotgun grenades, It is in the Explosive Archive.

Gollum
May 25th, 2001, 06:50 PM
You'd be better off just putting some poison in the tip of a hollow point or shattering/tumbling bullet. If you're looking for big crowd control, exploding bullets is not what you want.

chris
June 10th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Nope, exploding bullets exist and are in use in AMRs.

For information regarding this matter check die .50 Raufoss ammo.

Foodos
June 10th, 2001, 08:54 PM
you can just buy some hollow-point slugs, though the actual hollow point isnt large you could either try hollowing it out more with a drill, or stick with the factory hole and just fill it, capping it off with a primer and a bb/something to initiate it. I would try it behind a barricade with a pipe shotgun before you use one in a gun thats 2" from your face.

madog
June 11th, 2001, 03:34 PM
there is exploding and incedniary rounds for sale on this web site

<a href="http://www.firequest.com/catalog_window.htm">Firequest</a>

------------------
"True freedom is not without anarchy"

A-BOMB
June 21st, 2001, 02:44 PM
Well, I found this formula for the explosive
used in old exploding bullets here it is:
"This should be mixed as follows:-Take sulphuret of antimony,and chlorate of potash, pound them separately, and then mix them together in equal parts by weight with a bone knife, on a plate or other smooth surface." This was quoted from the "The Gun and Its Development"
page 670.

------------------
live by the bomb
die by the bomb

[This message has been edited by A-BOMB (edited June 22, 2001).]

SMAG 12B/E5
July 15th, 2001, 01:51 AM
Hollow point 22's make nice exploding rounds. Their effects are mostly visual pyrotechnics and incindary. Flash powder and/or primer composition work well. For larger caliber munitions examine the cross sectional of the 50 cal HEI (High Explosive Incindary). Fusing is not necessary on most high velocity rounds.

cutefix
July 15th, 2001, 02:49 AM
A 20 mm HEI(high explosive incendiary) ammunition contains:
High Explosive
RDX 61%
Al powder 35%
Wax 4%

Incendiary material is also added. About 12 % of the HE weight
Total filler is about 12 grams for the projectile filler

madog
August 3rd, 2001, 09:35 PM
my uncles dad (not my grampa) used to drill a hole in a .50 caliber slug then put a .22 blank in it with the primer end faceing forward then fire it out of a .50 caliber black powder rifle it would explode when it hit a hard oblect like a rock you could probaly do this with a 12 gage slug

[This message has been edited by madog (edited August 06, 2001).]

AR-15 Man
August 3rd, 2001, 11:02 PM
I heard that when there professional Buffalo hunters in the US that they would load a .22 in a hole in the 45-70 cartridge. Apparently when it hit bone it would set off the .22.

Bitter
August 25th, 2001, 07:41 AM
Oh no, not again. That website is a hoax, Al. Come on, you don't think that one-shot .50 actually works do you ?

zaibatsu
August 25th, 2001, 09:50 AM
It doesn't?? Shit, there goes my birthday present!

Mr Cool
August 25th, 2001, 11:05 AM
I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but it's fun so I'll post it anyway.

If you have a pneumatic gun, 8mm blanks make nice projectiles. I've been doing this recently, it seems that if you fire them fast enough they don't even need stabilisation. When they hit a hard surface the shock sets them off. They can't do any damage, but they're pretty loud. Expensive though http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/frown.gif

Monkeyman666
September 2nd, 2001, 12:53 AM
You can buy a pest control, for annoying bird flocks from Cabelas. They shoot an m-80 like projectile into the air. I DONT suggest trying to make you own.

------------------
Monkeyman

Anthony
September 2nd, 2001, 08:48 PM
Because filling hollow-pointed airgun pellets with an impact sensitive explosive is an idea that has been discussed many times?

twinkle
October 2nd, 2001, 02:14 PM
here is a link to info about it
http://www.guns.connect.fi/gow/QA.html

HolyHair
November 21st, 2007, 06:00 PM
Did you think about fluid filled bullets? Just take a normal holow tipped bullet, enlarge the hole and fill it with water then seal it with silicone. When this hits flesh it should explode.
NOTE: this is all theory as I amn't old enuogh to own a gun.:mad:

AcMav
November 21st, 2007, 11:01 PM
Just wanted to let you know that this thread is over 6 years old and I highly doubt the original poster is still around.
On your idea I'm pretty sure the idea is to inflict more damage with little to no loss of performance and your idea wouldn't do much to add in damage and would probably suffer in performance.

Shadowmartyr
November 22nd, 2007, 12:16 AM
my uncles dad (not my grampa) used to drill a hole in a .50 caliber slug then put a .22 blank in it with the primer end faceing forward then fire it out of a .50 caliber black powder rifle it would explode when it hit a hard oblect like a rock you could probaly do this with a 12 gage slug

[This message has been edited by madog (edited August 06, 2001).]

Uhh I know your banned but for the record maybe you will read this. If you knew anything about rifles and their ammunition you would know they made make ballistic tipped ammunition, UFG (use fucking google).

-=HeX=-
November 23rd, 2007, 06:37 PM
Hmm,nice idea HolyHair, how about hollow rounds filled with ETN? Test from a pipe gun but ETN is moderately sensitive so it may work...

Asriel
November 25th, 2007, 03:50 PM
I'm gonna have to say that overall the idea is interesting but just not worth the effort on anything smaller than a 20mm (MAYBE 14.5mm), because the amount of explosive would be so little, and I assume when you say "rifle" you mean something that isn't a 20mm or above autocannon. Though as was mentioned before look into the Frag-12 shotgun grenade, lethal radius about 3 meters I believe, shotguns are useful for alternative projectiles like this.