View Full Version : Discontinued JHP Ammo

HMTD Factory
October 3rd, 2001, 04:52 PM
There was a type of JHP ammo being introduced for a brief period of time and soon discontinued. Reason? Too good at what it's designed to do.

The obvious secret is in the extreme bullet design : It is an ordinary hollowpoint, except there is a slightly oversized(but far smaller than bullet dia.) steel ball glued to the mouth of the bullet.

If you are thinking it looks like someone trying to put an unpeeled orange into his mouth, you are right.

The steel ball first help penetrate armor, then (violently) cam the bullet mouth open, then the steel ball detaches from the bullet, either stays in the target or creat another wound channel.

I wonder if the bullet will be too long to feed but since it's been marketed I assume it is designed so it won't interfere with normal feeding/chambering.

[This message has been edited by HMTD Factory (edited October 03, 2001).]

Predator
October 3rd, 2001, 06:30 PM
I think the design of that particular bullet was so that a small steel ball (relatively light metal) would have the energy of a normal lead round (heavier metal, hence more energy) at the target, which it otherwise wouldn't have, and hence be able to do more damage than it otherwise would have done

I think the jhp was kind of just like a high energy bb delivery system that just happened to have a high shock value as a side effect of the expanding but (probably) low penetrating jhp round

Would be nice against lightly armoured targets as you said in that the bb would possibly penetrate the armour (say a class2 bullet proof vest) while the jhp would deliver a high shock value whilst flattening against the vest

AR-15 Man
October 4th, 2001, 12:40 AM
I never heard of such a round but could see it's merit. The little round would retain it's velocity until it has impacted. While it wouldn't cause the damage of a full sized bullet it is a good compromise for a pistol. I don't see why this round would be illegal in the US as the core would still be lead. And making your own AP for pistols isn't illegal and rifle rounds aren't restricted for AP. I might have to try to modify some . 357 hollow points because that would be the easiest for me. Maybe get some . 45 hollow points for my Tommy gun. What drilling thru the hollow point and adding a pointed core that is steel that would separate on impact? My only concern would be securing the steel good enough to hold up during firing but loose enough to separate on impact. Oh yea have you all heard of Federal Cartridges Expanding Full Metal Jacket? It feeds like FMJ but hits like a hollow point.

Charlie Workman
October 4th, 2001, 03:50 AM
The only round of this type I've ever seen was a .25 acp. The ball was meant to cause mushrooming at low velocities. The shape and speed of this ball would make it a poor penetrator. Not saying it couldn't, just that it is unlikely. It's academic anyway, since the ATF ruled that since the ball was steel, it fell under the laws covering AP pistol rounds.

BoB-
October 4th, 2001, 04:05 PM
I wonder if a small sharpened steel spike would work better than a ball.

------------------
Teamwork is essential.
It lets you to blame someone else.

Predator
October 4th, 2001, 06:10 PM
doubt it.. theres a reason pointy bullets aren't popular.. the slightest deformation on the spike and you can say goodbye to your aim

Agent Blak
October 4th, 2001, 07:21 PM
That would be why the spike is just below the surface of the projectile. If I reloaded my own Ammo I would take a soft nose boat tail(projectile), spin it in a lathe, drill a 1/64 tp 1/16 hole part way through. Then insert a drill bit or something similiar in the hole and soulder it in place with electronics soulder. when all that was completed I would reload it.
when it hit its target the small drill bit would come through still spining and I therorise that it would be able to go between the links of a chain male that the vest(some vests) is backed with.

------------------
A wise man once said:
"...There Will Be No
Stand Off At High Noon
... Shoot'em In The Back
And, Shoot'em In The Dark"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

<a href="http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/agent_blak/lst?.dir=/C-Spec+.docs&.order=&.view=l&.src=bc&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/agent_blak/lst%3f.dir=/C-Spec%2b.docs%26.src=bc%26.view=l">BriefCase</a>

EventHorizon
October 4th, 2001, 10:58 PM
Drilling lead is easier said than done, so is soldering hardened steel.

RPM=720xMV/TW

Say a 5.56 @ 3200fps in 1 in 9 twist barrel, thats 256,000 rpms. You would have to have it centered and soldered just right or it would likely tumble as soon as it exited the barrel and tear itself apart.

------------------
"Chance favors a prepared mind"-Louis Pasteur
PGP ID 0x147CEF54

[This message has been edited by EventHorizon (edited October 04, 2001).]

HMTD Factory
October 5th, 2001, 07:09 AM
I guess the reason it got banned is that no agency need such overkilling product. The killing power of it is in the expansion caused by the steel ball camming into the bullet cavity.

Federal Expanding FMJ? Is that the bullet with FMJ around a lead body and "marshmallow" nose filling? If I am correct, it indeed is good, uniform expansion(the bullet literally turned into a six-blade fan)

Most soft material can cause an HP to expand more if filled into HP cavity...vaseline, wax, even cloth (Some early .303 Brit use Dum-Dum bullets, which had shredded cloth filled into bullet cavity.)

Hell, to make bullets come apart is darn easy. Manufacturers develop molecular bonding technology to make sure bullets stay in one piece. So put them loosely together, it will come apart.

I had a crate(pretty much gone by now) of 7.62X39 from Norinco, they are typical fake softpoints : they are military ammo with copperwashed steel jacket , green lacquered steel case, steel core, and of course, Berdan primed. These are designed to let the steel core penetrate human body.

SMAG 12B/E5
November 17th, 2001, 09:03 PM
In the early 60's it was not uncommon for shooters to drill or "hollowpoint" the .357 and 44 magnums then screw in a hardened roundnose machine screw. On impact with a hard target, much of the bullet metal extending from underneath the screw's protective head would shear off. The screw, along with the remaining lead protected by the screw head would penetrate the target.

HMTD Factory
November 30th, 2001, 09:07 AM
Well, I just saw on the magazine that another manufacturer(Black Hills?) is offering a similiar product, except with hard polymer balls instead of steel ones.