View Full Version : Aerosol cans

Spudkilla
May 29th, 2002, 12:17 PM
I am sure that these would be a great weapon, or a tool to use. Simply get rid of whatever it was holding, but then you run into problems. How can you get the chemical (or gas) into the can, and then repressurize it? It seems pretty hard, but I'm sure with a little thinking we could make it work. Or not.

zaibatsu
May 29th, 2002, 02:27 PM
The only way I can think is by somehow tapping a hole in the bottom of an aerosol can and then fitting the type of valve thats in a bicycle.
EDIT- you can get oil sprayers that you can pump-up to build up pressure, maybe if you found a heavy duty version of these?

<small>[ May 29, 2002, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: zaibatsu ]</small>

CyclonitePyro
May 29th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Did you search? This was discussed in the "Refillable Flamethrower" topic down near the bottom of the Improvised Weapons page.
The good news for you is that it can be done, and it is pretty easy. But I don't think it could be used as a weapon unless you have problems, that would hurt!

<small>[ May 29, 2002, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: CyclonitePyro ]</small>

PYRO500
May 29th, 2002, 02:56 PM
I have tried the refillable flamethrower and air does not work really well to represurize it, mainly beacuse the air does not mix with the propellant and does not spray. I am currently building a device like this that will have electronic ignition but I have to have a stream insterad of a spray witch is only a few feet anyways. The stream is kind of weak but with a very volitile fel will be fun.

electric emu
June 1st, 2002, 12:32 PM
I saw a refillable aerosol can at harbor freight tools but its in the usa.

Fl4PP4W0k
June 2nd, 2002, 01:56 PM
You know those Air Horns? Ive got one for our boat.... anyway, they are an "aerosol" can with a small horn attatchment on the top (if you didnt know this...well).
Commercial disposeable ones use tetrafluoroethane gas methinks. This one i saw a while back didnt... you actually pressurized it yourself :D

It came with a bigger than usual can, and a fancier horn. You dont get anywhere NEAR as many 'hoots' out of the thing (as you can fit LOTTS of TFE in a can, seeing as its liquified) but it was the same loudness. Included, was a different attatchment for the top. It wasnt a horn, but a doodad that had a long bike style valve on it. (the ones used on racing bikes). You hooked that upto an air compresser and pumped as much air in the thing as you can.

THis sounds relevant, although they were $$$.
Ill look up the name of it

l8r,
rob

Fl4PP4W0k
June 2nd, 2002, 02:07 PM
Also, if ya lookin for a "defence" weapon.... Oven Cleaner works like a charm :mad:
Its basically 25% NaOH in a can, pressurized, with foaming agent!!!
Normally it comes out in a mist like burst.... which isnt exactly wot u want. A simple needle fixes that... just enlarge the hole a little until it streams out. This way, it shouldnt be blown back as much towards you.

THis is effective, but it DOES cause permanent damage. So dont do it on ur buddies, k? :p
Against the odd mugger\burglar\enemy this is effective and vicious. Most likely they wont see again... or atleast very well :D

dont do this ofcourse.... im being hypothetical
but you knew THAT
l8r,
rob

Fl4PP4W0k
June 2nd, 2002, 02:10 PM
<a href="http://www.taylormadeproducts.com/2002catalog/catalogma.htm" target="_blank">http://www.taylormadeproducts.com/2002catalog/catalogma.htm</a>

there it is

....thats pretty similar to what i saw

J
June 2nd, 2002, 04:23 PM
Re-pressurising with air presents another problem: if you get a flashback into the can, you have a fuel/air mixture ready to explode...

Xtramad
June 3rd, 2002, 02:19 AM
I've been thinking a while about aerosol cans, but more in the direction of a non-leathal time bomb. I mean like a mechanical timer fixed to the bottom of the can which punctures it, would be great as a revenge weapon, specially with expanding building foam. Just imagine one of those left in a car or a room, he he. You would have to cut your way through it when it hardened. Or something less destructive like novelty fart gas would be great in a mall or other large places.

Probe
June 3rd, 2002, 05:25 AM
Hmm, that wouldnt be very hard, but why not just fill a CO2 cartridge with BP and then use a kitchen timer to set off an estes modle rocket ignighter with a nine volt? simple way:

possitive on the hammer, negitive on the bell. the second it gos off there a small explosion and foam is everywhere. you could tape like, 5 cans around the CO2 cartridge and have ALOT of fun. :D , another way:

tape a needle to where the 0 number is, and soldor a wire of the nine volt to that, then on the other, have the ignighter on a wire, and another wire leading to the hand itself, tape a needle to there so it will just go like this:

1) |_
2) |-
3) |/
4) | BOOM

heh, just an idea.

Fl4PP4W0k
June 3rd, 2002, 08:16 AM
A while back i had a Pyrodex\BP cratermaker taped to 3 Butane cans in a triangle config.... floated it on a little wooden raft thingy and lit the fuse (long sparkler).
Anyway, it was rather loud :)
Unfortunately, it threw some nasty shrapnel (duh) - so you wouldnt want to do it NEAR someone. Unless you really do dislike them :mad:

A small AP\HMTD cap would do the same, and be more compact.
But for the danger involved, its not a smart thing to do :p The damage wasnt all that impressive either.

l8r,
rob

Xtramad
June 4th, 2002, 02:18 AM
If you puncture the can in the bottom where it is rather thick the can should not rupture but only release it's contents through the hole.
Anyway I was thinking in the direction of a spring loaded hollow firing pin released by a clockwork mechanism. A detonator would rupture the can and probably ignite the contents, which wasn't quite my idea.

PYRO500
June 4th, 2002, 03:45 AM
what about using acetone on the valve on the top somehow? you could devise a way to get it to eat through the plastic, also you could get a solvent that could eat through the can, another choice would to take a can of the stuff (esp expanding foam) and put it in the microwave. That would be good. :)
The only way I see of puncturing one of these cans is with a lot of force behind a small thing like a nail, you could rig up a black powder piston system to shoot a nail into one of these. A person could take a file and make a very weak spot in the metal carefully and have a capacitor discharge (eg camera flash capacitor charged) arc a hole in it when they tried to pick the thing up due to gravity or a springiness in the capacitor contacts, just have the open capacitor lead make contact with the weak spot and kapow! you'll have a small but loud leak but if it was in their face it could cause damage and ignite the contents, I just thought of a new idea, a timer that activates a switch (atached to an appliance timer) and is plugged into the wall, the timer runs to a heating element witch heats the can until it either explodes or the top melts away.

Fl4PP4W0k
June 4th, 2002, 10:58 AM
If puncturing the can and spraying the contents is all thats to be done... Somehow rigging up a glass ampule of really 'mean' acid should do the trick (when it breaks, acid spills and eventually burns hole in can). Perhaps perchloric or fuming nitric? These cans are steel methinks...

l8r,
rob

kingspaz
June 4th, 2002, 06:36 PM
i thought most cans where aluminium...
pyro500, putting the can in the microwave would do nothing more than break the microwave. metal (the can) reflects microwaves so the inside would not get grilled. also depending on what is inside the can it may or may not be affected my microwave radiation.

Anthony
June 4th, 2002, 07:59 PM
A can in the microwave would heat up and explode like one on a fire, it would at least blow the door off of the microwave oven :)

Some aerosols nowadays, especially cans of builder's filler/foam materials have a rubber plug in a hole in the base of the can to act as a safety valve if the can is heat. Simply heating the can should eject the contents through the plug hole, or attack the plug directly with a solvent or a hot implement.

PYRO500
June 4th, 2002, 07:59 PM
It dosen't matter if the microwaves are reflected by the metal, the metal is going to have an electric current inducted in it and then it will heat up, this is what actually happens to metal things in your microwave. if you put a can in a microwave it will most likely heat up and expolde, I guess the added metal in theresonant cavity would destroy it's resonance to microwaves of that frequency causing magnetron wear but that would take a while and the can most likely would have exploded.