View Full Version : Turn something into a .22 + answers

HMTD Factory
October 26th, 2001, 03:55 AM
This should go into the archive so it can be found in a search.

The trickier part of making a survival .22 or a disguised .22 at home is the barrel and rifling. The stuff here gives solution and answer for those who asked "Where can I find a .22 barrel" or "How do I put rifling in my .22 barrel"

.22 Barrel Liner-

A thin tube(25" or 32" in length) of chrome moly steel with internal dimension(.223) and rifling(1-16 twist or 1-20 twist) to fit a .22 rimfire bullet.

Why people use it and how to install it:

Why:

.22 Barrel liners are for converting bigger rifles into shooting .22s or re-boring worn out .22 barrels. Or people(you) want to turn something into a .22 barrel without the works.

How:

First a barrel blank(aka "a steel rod that is thick enough") is drilled to fit the liner. As the liner inserts into the drilled hole, soldering compound or Acraglas is added to fill the gap between liner and original barrel. The Acraglas will glue them together or hot solder do the job. Last, cut the new barrel precisely and a chamber reaming job. Now you have a .22 barrel.

The liner will stand pressure of a .22LR or anything less than that(no .22 Hornet or .223 Rem, sorry!)

The liners can be found in Brownells Catalog,
but most gunsmithes have some liners as .22 lining is a popular demand.

Brownells website
WWW.Brownells.com (http://WWW.Brownells.com)

It's quite a coincidence that this post added my total post number to 222...

[This message has been edited by HMTD Factory (edited October 26, 2001).]