View Full Version : HCL

mongo blongo
March 4th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Hey all!
I was wondering if someone could help me.
I have obtained some HCL in the form of brick cleaner from B&Q (UK).
This is my problem, I don't know what the concentration is!
I would do a titration but my burette is fucked!
Measuring the density wouldn't be accurate because the stuff is light pink so it must have some other funky chemicals in it. :(
Does anyone know what the common conc of brick cleaner is?
It does say that this stuff has to be diluted before use (1 part HCL to 2 parts water) if that helps.
Can anyone help me?

0EZ0
March 4th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Can you take a picture of it and link it to here? If you can't then what brand did you buy? The brand i have is called "Diggers". But because i live in Australia it might only be available here. Look on the container for anything like, "Active Ingredient: HCl 300g/L.

[ 04 March 2002: Message edited by: 0EZ0 ]

Madog555
March 4th, 2002, 03:38 PM
my muriatic acid is 28% HCl. i think the most HCl that can be disolved in water is up to 38%. so it is probaly between 28% and 38% (most likely 30% like most HCl Cleaners)

mongo blongo
March 4th, 2002, 03:51 PM
It's B&Q's own brand.
Just found a link to it: http://www.diy.com
Type "brick cleaner" in the Quick Search in the top left hand corner and search. It will come up with one result.
There is no information what so ever on the tank relating to amounts of HCL. I would have been able to work that out myself. :)
I have a feeling that the other chems in it are some kind of detergents.
What conc is your HCL 0EZ0 ?

[ 04 March 2002: Message edited by: Mongo Blongo ]

Jack Ruby
March 4th, 2002, 06:08 PM
The stuff I buy is 31.42% HCl.

It is from a place called Candian Tire and has very light Green/yellow dint.

I work perect for anything I have every needed it for.

0EZ0
March 4th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Sorry Mongo Blongo. Didn't think u were that stupid :p
The concerntration of my HCl is 30%. It is printed clearly on the container. It is a clear liquid, with almost the same consistency of water.
I had a look at your brick cleaner on diy.com. It doesn't seem to say any HCl amount on it. Sorry i can't help :(

[ 04 March 2002: Message edited by: 0EZ0 ]

VX
March 5th, 2002, 11:49 AM
I work at another big DIY store in the UK, its not B&Q, but I suppose that that sort of stuff would have government regulations as to what conc acid can be used. IIRC our brick cleaner is labled as between 10~15% HCl. I will check this when I am next at work.

More conc products can be bought from builders merchants, as they have different laws governing them.

xoo1246
March 5th, 2002, 09:43 PM
We are the onces who wash your car, polish you shoes and work at you lokal DIY store. But when noone can see or hear us, we manufacture explosives....

First rule of project avalanche.... ;)

VX
March 8th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Just got home from work... our Patio Cleaner as it is called contains

'Less than 10% Hydrochloric Acid'

Weaker than I thought. Doesnt necessarily mean that your will be the same though.