View Full Version : picric acid problem...

stanfield
August 30th, 2001, 06:52 AM
I bought picric acid but the Co. sell this stuff with 40% H2O to delete the explosive danger...
My question is : anyone has some good ways to dry this acid whitout setting me off ?

thanx...

kingspaz
August 30th, 2001, 09:13 AM
you could use a drying agent like dehydrated CuSO4. or maybe heat it up in a water bath. that way the temperature would never be able to rise above 100*. but that method would depend on TNP's stability at elevated temperatures.

stanfield
August 30th, 2001, 10:09 AM
no danger because TNP will explode at 300°C right ?

kingspaz
August 30th, 2001, 06:29 PM
dunno if it explodes at that temp. you'll need an expert opinion for that!!...the water bath would be quicker but will not get it as dry as using the dehydrated copper sulphate. but it should gt it dry enough to be of use.

Rhadon
September 2nd, 2001, 08:24 PM
Calcium chloride can also be used as a drying agent, but I think with the heating method kingspaz mentioned is better. It should be harmless: Picric acid will only deflagrate when it's heated above 225° C, detonating it without intention by heating it seems impossible to me.

stanfield
September 3rd, 2001, 10:32 AM
I think I could use my "halogen" lamp (correct translate ?), It warm a lot when pushed to maximum... (I'm using this one to dry my hexamine solution...)

see ya !

Mr Cool
September 3rd, 2001, 11:27 AM
You could use a water bath, a dessicator with CuSO4, H2SO4, CaCl etc in, put it in the airing cupboard, put it in a low oven, or just leave it out in the open!