View Full Version : Ammonia chemistry questions.

FadeToBlackened
August 7th, 2001, 06:24 PM
I ramble a bit but please read and respond if possible.

Yesterday, while reading KIBC's HTMD procedure, I started thinking maybe I could make AP with ammonium sulfate. Then I remembered Philou said acetone reacts with ammonia to form 'imides and their polymers'. I didnt know what an imide was, so I looked in a dictionary (useful, but with limitations).

I have some questions. Amides are similar to imides, and amines are similar to imines. What is the difference? I know amides/imides have acyl groups, while amines/imines have alkyl groups. Are imides/imines just secondary (i think?) amines? Also, how are 'coordination complexes' formed, like Cu(NH3)4++ and similar?

Any responses greatly appreciated.

[This message has been edited by FadeToBlackened (edited August 07, 2001).]

Hex
August 8th, 2001, 02:20 PM
Amine structure is R3N where R is an alkyl group or Hydrogen
Amide structure is R2N(C=O)R where R is as above
Imine structure is R2C=N-H
Imide structure is HN[(C=O)R]2 (the R groups may be different)
Sorry, it's very hard to draw structures like this, these probably aren't very clear.. Perhaps someone smarter than me can get some chemdraw pictures of these groups up.
All of these groups have very different properties. A good, basic organic textbook is a sound investment for any non-chemist who's going to mess around. The more you know, the safer you'll be.
As for how co-ordination complexes are formed - that would need a long answer involving a discussion of d-orbital symmetry and JT distortions. I suppose you caould consider them as metal ions surround by groups, say NH3 for instance (often called "ligands" when referring to complexes)
The difference between these compound and "ordinary salts" is (and I know I'm generalising big time here)
1) Involve transiton metals - not ones in group I or II of the periodic table
2) ligands may not be (formally) charged, ie NH3 is a common ligand. Group I and II salts involve ions "exclusively"
3) complexed ligands are often easy to remove/replace and are held less tightly than in GI and II salts.

Any inorganic chemists out there - feel free to correct any shocking errors, but bear in mind I'm just sketching an idea for a non-chemist before you slaughter me...

[This message has been edited by Hex (edited August 08, 2001).]