View Full Version : tripwires

drstrangelove
March 16th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Hello all,I was wondering peoples opinions are on what is the best wire to use in tripwire booby traps?Fishing line is what am thinking.I want to protect a outside area with the old clothes peg tripwire but I have to put the wire above waist height or my dogs might accidently sent it off.I am concerned that if anyone comes they are going to be cautious and see my tripwire or just avoid it.Do you string the wire on a diagonal or straight line?I was also thinking of setting up one of those sensor lights but having just the sensor outside and the light in my bedroom.Any help or ideas would be great-thanks.

NoltaiR
March 17th, 2002, 12:27 AM
I believe this has been discussed before (although I could be wrong because I never replyed to it) but my comments on this is that trip wires should be a fairly wire that is built for the enemy type. Meaning that if you are trying to get the neighbors dog, you would probably set it in front of a pile of food. Or if you are trying to get an unfortunate person, setting it along a often walked path in the woods would work fine.

Anyways lay it fine.. personnally I would use clothesline wire because it tends not to be falsely initiated as fishing string would if a small twig fell on it. Clothesline wire is also usually dark in color so long as you get the kind that is not coated in plastic (and actually I believe the reason for using colorful plastic coating was because too many had been hurt by running into clothesline wires that they could not see). Anything dark would work well, however, in a place like the woods. And lay your line perpendicular to the path so that it is a for-sure initiation when the line is pushed open.

CommonScientist
February 3rd, 2004, 03:22 PM
Since when are tripwires related to chemistry, unless it was homeade detcord that you made, then you posted the sinthesis. Otherwise this topic should probably be moved.

SmallR2002
February 3rd, 2004, 04:27 PM
Oh come on it is chemicaly related, erm vaugley any way if ppl move it I wont know where to find it.
I have been wiring my room for years mainly if my parents found out some of the stuff I have been creating *side of hand hits back of neck - you get my drift*. If it is at all posible then I would advise fineish wire and a (somewhere near) 60volts battery attached between trees* attempt to make the gaps small and make sure that ALL wires go within 26degr of the general branch direction. How important is it that nobody gets in? peelers are very cunnin when they think something is up. Dogs can be trained (as I'm sure you know) to go only one way; and if this way is unobviouse then you can concentrait defences on the rest etc. Can you give more details please?

*Remember that the shiney hooks will show and someone with an inate sence of danger may be triggered into warey mode; therefor screw on the inside-side of the tree.

zeocrash
February 3rd, 2004, 06:12 PM
Common scientist: the area chemistry related covers is somewhat ambiguous, i seem to remember a thread here a few months ago about safecracking, that had FA to do with chemistry.
anyway. i wouldn't have thought the type of wire used would have affected the sensetivity too much, as the sensitivity is mainly controlled by the sensor at the end of the tripwire. You want to use as thin as possibly for the kind of target. this means you have to judge what kind of strain will be put on your wire, choose a wire too thin and it'll snap etc, choose a wire to thick and it'll be blindingly obvious.

PHAID
February 3rd, 2004, 07:01 PM
Another consideration to think about is what kind of trigger you use.

Some go by the release of tension and others by a pulling force, of course you can have both in one trigger as well.

CommonScientist
February 3rd, 2004, 09:43 PM
As it doesnt really matter to anyone that this topic is a little off, I will start by saying that I would use the string landscapers and masons use, it is usually yellow, but you can dye to a darker color such as olive drab or a brown. I wouldnt dye it black because what besides a shadow is black in a natural enviroment?

I wouldnt put it at waist height because it is closer to your eyes, thus its easier to see. But you dont want your dogs to turn into pulp durring the night, so you might need to tie them up with a chain or something, or make a fence.