View Full Version : flask warmer

stanfield
April 23rd, 2002, 10:06 AM
I have a 5 liter distillation apparatus but I have some problem to get a relatively "cheap" flask heater (with thermostat...). In france, the minimum price is 460 €. So, anyone know a good source for flask warmer ? (I also did a search on google but I only found piece of shit).

thanx !

DBSP
April 23rd, 2002, 12:18 PM
How did you heat the old flask?
How about an oil bath with the heat source equiped with a powereful dimmer.

wantsomfet
April 23rd, 2002, 12:31 PM
Ebay is a nice source for used laborytory equipment.
Or use an oil/sand bath (ordinary heat plate) with a dimmer & thermometer attached, like DBSP suggested.

BrAiNFeVeR
April 23rd, 2002, 01:07 PM
How about a regular frying pan ?
It has the thermostat all implemented !! (temperatures up to 190°C)
A cheap model won't cost you more then 100€ I think ...

stanfield
April 23rd, 2002, 03:58 PM
I usually use gas stove but I do all my distillation outside (nitric acid, huh !) and it's hard to keep the flame because of the wind... :mad:

mongo blongo
April 23rd, 2002, 10:10 PM
I use an inverted iron. I have also calibrated it. It works fine for distilling nitric acid and it's cheap. :)

stanfield
April 24th, 2002, 05:42 AM
muhahahaha ! funny ! I never though this idea ! but it's not really stable no ?

megalomania
April 24th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Woah, a 5-L flask? All the pro heating mantles for something that size will cost you a small fortune, even used. I think your best bet is an oil bath on a hotplate. Maybe you could invest in a frydaddy frier, like a top of the line stainless steel one for $60 that matches my motif and cooks all my fries and wings :) One of those is probably not big enough to fit the flask though. A cheap hotplate does not have much in the way of temperature selectivity, but you can keep a thermometer in the oil. You can buy a galvinized bucket, or get one of those cheap gigantic boiler pots from Wal-Mart for feeding an army of inlaws. You could also buy one of those turkey frier kits that includes a propane connection for its own flame heat. Those can be found anywhere now for $50-100 depending on how big a one you get.

stanfield
April 24th, 2002, 03:25 PM
yes, 5 Liter is good, I can have 1000 mL of nitric acid in one time but heating is a big problem, as big as the boiling flask ! :)

see ya !

mongo blongo
April 24th, 2002, 04:39 PM
Stanfield- Yes it is stable. I forgot to mention that I made a kind of stand out of wood which makes it VERY secure in the inverted position. It works very well. :)