View Full Version : New Oxidizer - Archive file

zaibatsu
March 15th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Alchemist
Frequent Poster
posted January 20, 2001 01:33 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello all,
I have been hearing that Dinitamides have been getting popular in the rocket, pyrotechnic, and explosive industries.
Like Ammonium and Potassium Dinitramide. Has anyone heard of these and can we all make them?

------------------

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted January 21, 2001 08:12 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Potassium dinitramide? Surely that means a nitramide ion has a charge of -0.5?!?! Or is the ion called a dinitramide, and there's no such thing as a nitramide? That'd make more sense.
I suppose the formula would be something like KN(NO2)2. Looks just a little bit unstable! I certainly wouldn't want to make it, but it might be possible (if that is the formula, which it probably isn't) to make it by nitrating potassium amide, KNH2, with a H2SO4/HNO3 mix, or maybe reacting it with nitrous acid.

Alchemist
Frequent Poster
posted January 21, 2001 08:46 PM
Thanks for the reply Mr Cool,
this is what I found on the net. I can't remember the web sight,but I was doing a search for new explosives.
Dinitramide salts(Potassium, Ammonium, etc) address the need for nontoxic oxidizers, because they contain no chlorine or metals.

ADN contains no chlorine or metals. The molecular formula is N4H4O4.
The ADN formulation looks like a solid form of highly hydrated, highly condensed air (O2, N2, 2H2O).
ADN's nominal decomposition products are the
nonpolluting gases-nitrogen, oxygen, and water.
ADN and the other dinitramide salts have potential as an oxidizer. Thus ADN is the oxygen source in solid propellants and other munitions applications.
ADN is recognized as a potential revolutionary replacement for ammonium perchlorate in missile systems.
ADN is calculated to give propellants with high specific impulse and is environmentally degradable and benign.

------------------