View Full Version : TNT the best way? - Archive file

zaibatsu
March 15th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Detonator
Frequent Poster
posted January 20, 2001 02:31 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is the easiest way to make TNT?
Is it possible with the 70% NA only?

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted January 20, 2001 07:31 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you know Megalomania's explosives site? Well, go there, and go to the links section. There is a site called "The Explosives and Pyrotechnics Information Database" that has a method for making TNT. It's a 3 stage nitration, but doesn't use oleum, and it says that 70% HNO3 can even be used, but with reduced yields. I'm going to try this as soon as I get some more sulphuric acid, but I'll probably use 90+% HNO3. I'll post my results here when/if I get round to it. The main problem for me is finding the toluene, because I think everywhere has stopped selling it. I could distill it from some glue that I have which contains it if I get desperate!

Anthony
posted January 20, 2001 09:27 AM
Why would you want ot make TNT? Three nitration steps sounds like a lot of hard work, then you might have trouble getting the stuff to detonate - maybe I'm too much of a pessamist!

Mr Cool, I started making notes of products I saw round and about:

Toluene:

Damp Start Areosol spray - B&Q

Some kind of furniture waxing product - Wilkinson's

Paint Remover/Cellulose Thinners - Halfords

I think the last one would be the best since it's a liquid and quite cheap, I don't know what the concentration of any of these are, or what else is mixed in. BUt hopefully this might be of some help

Smartguy
A new voice
posted January 20, 2001 10:22 AM
TNT is indeed a lot of effort to make, takes large amounts of chemicals, and the yield is often disappointing. Detonating a charge of it is difficult, too. Tried a lot of times, had a lot of incomplete detonations. If you want to use it, better use it as a sensitizer for ammonium nitrate.
Although TNT melts easily, and therefore can be cast into blocks......don't! Not only because liquid TNT is very sensitive...but cast TNT isn't. Without use of a booster charge, cast TNT is very hard to detonate.

If I were you.....I'd stick to RDX.

10fingers
Frequent Poster
posted January 20, 2001 10:45 AM
TNT is a lot of work. It's not as powerful as many other explosives that can be made with less chemicals. But then there are people who like a challenge. I think the main reasons it is used by the military is because of it's ability to be melted and poured and it's insensitivity. Small arms fire or shrapnel will not set it off.

[This message has been edited by 10fingers (edited January 20, 2001).]

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted January 21, 2001 07:55 AM
I'd use TNT by making ammonal, amatol or comp. B with it by melting it and mixing AN, Al powder and/or RDX with it. These are more powerful and more sensitive than TNT alone. Obviously, if you make TNT you'll have to recycle the spent acids, or it's extremely wasteful.
I sometimes make TeNN, which is a multi-stage nitration, so I'm not bothered about that aspect of it.
And I do like a challenge, which is the main reason I want to make it. And so I can show off to everyone!
Anthony: Thanks for the help!

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted January 21, 2001 02:55 PM
TeNN?
Is the Tri-Nitro Napthalene?

------------------
A wise man once said:
"... As He Waits For The Time When The Last Become First And,
The First Shall Become last"
--RATM

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

SofaKing
Frequent Poster
posted January 21, 2001 11:33 PM
TeNN is tetranitronapthalene It's you can find out more on Megas site.

I also can't find toulene. But a soulution would be to make TNX (trinitroxylene), because xylene is avaiable.

------------------
"ARE YOUR PAPERS IN ORDER" -- Jack Booted Thug

vehemt
Frequent Poster
posted January 22, 2001 01:56 AM
Try looking in hobby stores for dope thinner for the toluene.

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted January 22, 2001 05:54 AM
TeNN is tetranitronapthalene. Very similar to TNT in its explosive properties, but a bit more powerful and sensitive.

Do you have any info on TNX?

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted January 22, 2001 10:50 AM
Has anybody ever heard of Di-Nitro Napthalene?
I have heard that it combine the power of "Nitro Glycerine" and the sensitivity of "Flash Powder;" whether this is true I don't know.

------------------
A wise man once said:
--RATM

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted January 22, 2001 04:17 PM
One of the stages in making TeNN makes 1,8-DNN, but I've never tried to use any of it. I suspect it will be significantly less powerful than TeNN, due to the fact that it's only half as nitrated. I might test some next time.

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted January 22, 2001 04:20 PM
Sounds like a plan.

------------------
A wise man once said:
--RATM

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

MACE
April 24th, 2003, 12:21 PM
hi

there is an other method of TNT preperation described in the patent US2435314. if this really works this would be very interesting because there is no need of concentrated nitric and also sulfuric isn't needed at all. the process is something like this: you have to put the nitric (concentration dosn't matter, just calculate the right ammount for the aviable concentration) , the toluene and a solvent (light gasoline, n-hexane?) in a reflux aparature equipped with a watertrap and boil it until the calculated ammount of water has collected in the watertrap. the temperature will maintain it self at ~70°C because of the boilingpoint of the solvent. this will also prevent a runaway because if the temperature rises more solvent evapoates and this cools the reaction. i don't have tryed out this method until now but i'm on to obtain the equipment needed.did anyone tryed out this method befor?

bye