View Full Version : Cop Cars Locator's

AfterRain
April 24th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Question, Is there a signal that comes from the cop car and sends it location to HQ ? and if so is it is it possible to obtain the info and on your own handheld have a read out with all the cops loctaions ? Im sure , if cops use this method there is a way to get there info. I was thinkin' if you had a handheld and you programed in your x,y cordnite(sp?) , it would read out how far a cop would be from your location ? just an idea. Thanks

P.S- Sorry bout the "Ghetto Talk" , where im from i dont speak ghetto , theres worse then me, But I'll remember to speak with class in this forum.

Tyler_Durden
April 25th, 2002, 10:57 PM
Unless every car is supplied with GPS, then no. And since I am fairly certain they are NOT all supplied with GPS, then the answer to your question is also no.

By the way, do you REALLY think there is going to be a device where you simply enter in your location (latitude, longitude, as there would be no other way), and it will tell you exactly where all cops nearby are? Do you really think there is a real chance that is possible?

AfterRain
April 26th, 2002, 12:43 AM
Why would i post a question that I didn't have an idea to back it up? you could make a reciver to do this. The way it would tell you how far the cops are from you, there would be a math equation togo with it,all you would have to do is figure out how far 1 degree of long. to another degree of long. would be, feet wise and the same with lat. then just based on your degre entered, it would work it out from there :cool: . so yea i think there is/could be/will be a device to do that :) . And yea i think it is possible. See where im from all the cop cars have pcs, the only thing im not sure of is if they transmit location data, between cars and hq..

Tyler_Durden
April 29th, 2002, 10:37 PM
You don't read very well.

NoltaiR
April 30th, 2002, 12:05 AM
Hmmm maybe if enough civilian cars could join together they could put out a signal when ever a cop was seen so the round-about location of the cops could be mapped.

SATANIC
April 30th, 2002, 05:59 AM
If the cop car was emmting a radar (i think!) signal, (eg: from a speed camera) Then it would be possible to track them within a certain range, as i know there are already devices that do that.

Turns out they also open those movement detecting doors (at most large shops) as the car drives past.

The only downside is that your setup emits some kind of signal that the cops can then track themselves.... which means as soon as you get the signal, usually beeping, to signal a pig is close, you have to rip it out of sight, before you get too close and they track you.

I've been told that not only are they illegal, but will set you back a couple of hundred ($aus)....

mrloud
April 30th, 2002, 10:10 AM
I don't know how things work in America, but here in Australia all emergency vehicles (police, fire and ambulance) are fitted with a GPS that continuously transmits its location to a central despatch office. When someone makes a call to 000 (our equivalent of 911) and gives the operator their address, a map pops up on the operator's screen showing a roadmap of the locality and the positions of all the emergency vehicles in the area. The operator can see what job each vehicle is attending to and despatch the nearest free vehicle or divert a vehicle to a more important job. It's a great system when it works.

I suspect it uses a radio network with antennas at many traffic lights, bridges and tall buildings. I suppose it is possible that a clever person could recieve the vehicles transmissions and use them to their advantage. I have been unable to find out what frequency it works at and if the signals are encrypted or even whether they are digital or analogue.

vulture
April 30th, 2002, 12:13 PM
All cop cars have comm radios which are constantly on. They work on a frequency you can listen to with a scanner. Now, if you put 2 antennas on your car you can track how far away they are by their radio signal if you have the equipment. Real position detection would require antennas which use multiple bands to "look" around 360 degrees.

I don't think this is possible financially and practically.

<small>[ April 30, 2002, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: vulture ]</small>

Hvoroba
April 30th, 2002, 12:55 PM
I'm not sure about other countries, but here in Israel it is possible to purchase a radar-tracking device for less than $200, and it's legal also.

Zero
April 30th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Radar detectors are legal in my state, and can be had at the local Radio Shack for less than a hundred bucks, for the lesser models. They don't tell you where the cops are, of course, but that they are within a reasonable vicinity.

I've heard stories about police cars having tracking devices built in. Supposedly this is in case of theft or similar. I'd doubt it's anything too sophisticated, because given the political and beuracratic tomfoolery around here the system would either A. never work or B. be extremely patchwork and possibly not work with all cars/all precincts/all states.

If it is true, though, it could be an afternoon's fun to build a fake tracker and strap it to, say, the underside of an outbound airplane...

~Zero the Inestimable

AfterRain
May 1st, 2002, 02:36 PM
See radar detectors only detect radar (guns used for speed traps) and the cops in my city dont have radar guns , only special units have it.that would do me no good. But im tryin' to get a unblocked scanner to scan all freq's that are transmited from a cop car.. but till them im out of luck. :( But does anyone think that this is possible, to make a device to do this, like you would enter in your GPS x,y , and that would make you the orgin on the grid, then when any cops come near , a dot would go into one of the 4 quardant. So, im still workin' on the skem-maticas of it.

Wicked
May 1st, 2002, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I have one in my (future) car, as soon as I turn fifteen I'll be driveing it legitimatly, but then why would I need the device? Anyways, lemme find the plans for it, I didnt make it, a friend did but he gave me the plans and shiznit, so I'll PDF'em for you :)

Forgot to add, you will have to go to the police station and sit there for awhile with it scanning, it will store all of the freqs it picks up.

(When you need to add something, do it in your previous post. DON'T make another post just for that. NBK)

<small>[ May 01, 2002, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: nbk2000 ]</small>

AfterRain
May 8th, 2002, 11:33 AM
yo wicked let me know when you got this, thanks alot