View Full Version : The steps for explosive synthesis

Hvoroba
May 8th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Okay.

Throughout my experience with explosives, I've gradually developed a certain way of work in finding the needed precursors for the substances I synthesize. I just wanted to add my two cents, and this is probably not the most effective method, but here it goes:

Note: It is a very good habit to look at the labels of the cleaning agents at supermarkets for the chemicals which they contain, and record it in a notebook.

Example 1: Acetone Peroxide

I know the materials which are needed are Acetone, Hydrogen Peroxide, and a mineral acid of some sort. I look at my chemical list, and see that Acetone is available as a paint remover in a local DIY store, Hydrogen Peroxide can be found as a bleach for delicate clothes at a supermarket behind the corner, and I also see that Hydrochloric or Sulphuric acid is available at the same DIY shop. I make a list of the brand names, find the synthesis info, and all I have to do now is buy them.

Example 2: Nitrostarch

I know the materials which are needed are Starch, Nitric Acid, and Sulphuric Acid. I know starch is available at the supermarket, sulphuric acid can be found at the DIY shop, but unfortunately, I don't have access to nitric acid, and the sulphuric acid which is sold is not pure enough for the synthesis. I do some research, and find out that sulphuric acid can be purified by a certain process, and that nitric acid can be produced by the reaction of sulphuric acid and Potassium Nitrate, a chemical which is available at a local agricultural shop. Unfortunately, I find out that the nitric acid from this process needs purification also. I do a research about the process, and when I know everything and it's all written down and organized, I can finally buy the materials and start the synthesis.

Note: Some details in the examples might not be correct, but this isn't relevant as long as you get the idea.

kingspaz
May 8th, 2002, 06:13 PM
what is the idea? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

DarkAngel
May 8th, 2002, 07:32 PM
This is useless info.

Al Koholic
May 8th, 2002, 08:22 PM
What the hell...?

Pu239 Stuchtiger
May 8th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Worthless post...

TariqMujahid
May 8th, 2002, 10:06 PM
No no, it's not necessarily worthless. I just don't think you understood the point of it. The name doesn't seem to be very appropriate for the topic though.

What he is talking about is simply a way of organizing information for explosives and putting them all down into one place, which makes quick reference. Really- you can look on Mega's site for explosive info, but what he's talking about is where to get the precursors. My thoughts seem fragmented right now, but you understand what I'm trying to say.

mongo blongo
May 8th, 2002, 10:33 PM
Come on! Anyone on this forum who has any experience will know this kind of stuff from memory! This is VERY basic stuff! Could be useful to less experienced members. :rolleyes:

Zach
May 8th, 2002, 11:10 PM
people really seem to be kinda bitchy/critical latley. lighten up guys.
i dont really get the whole picture of what he means. maybe as a way to put info down for the knowlege section right now.

cutefix
May 9th, 2002, 03:17 AM
This information posted by Hvorova is useful to newbies,so its not a worthless contribution.Being systematic in once procedures will develop would be explosive experimenter's knowledge and skill …
Learning about the ingredients well would also improve awareness of safety in its use.

kingspaz
May 9th, 2002, 06:40 PM
i think i vaguely see one of the points now :)
do lots of research and KNOW what you are doing before doing it. then you can do it efficiently and if it doesn't work you can work out why since you know WHY the reaction occurs.

mark
May 10th, 2002, 12:58 AM
A useful bit of knowledge is not to have a stack of dangerous chemicals in your shopping cart while your writing down the ingrediants. This tends to arouse the suspicions of most employees. Also, its good to have an excuse on hand for why your looking up all this.

Microtek
May 10th, 2002, 08:48 AM
This is just basic research technique, but for those who haven't discovered the technique for themselves yet, it is just about the most useful lesson. As the basic stuff usually is. Hence the term 'basic'.

Pu239 Stuchtiger
May 10th, 2002, 09:27 AM
Don't stress a source of chemicals too much. Don't walk into a hardware store twice a month to buy a gallon of concentrated sulfuric acid, a gallon of HCl, 1L acetone, 1L ethanol, 1L toluene... try to go to as many different stores as possible for purchasing chemicals. People will get suspicious if you don't. And, the cardinal rule for the explosives hobby: DON'T share it with ANYONE!

<small>[ May 10, 2002, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: Pu239 Stuchtiger ]</small>

Hvoroba
May 12th, 2002, 11:59 AM
The information may be useless to many people here, but it may also be useful for people who are less organized and haven't developed that way of work yet. Not everybody has developed these work skills yet, and it took me some time (about two years) to acquire them myself, so I just wanted to share some of it. Excuse me if it may seem pointless.

Pu239 Stuchtiger
May 12th, 2002, 05:36 PM
This may sound silly, but it really does make a difference.

I try to maintain a "clean" appearance when making purchases of "suspicious" chemicals. I always wear a collared shirt when making purchases, and clean khakis. My intent is never questioned. If you walk up to the counter at a fertilizer store with 20lbs of NaNO3, and your black clothes are causing you to sweat, your hair is covering the fertilizer, the smell of liquor on your breath causes the clerk to gag... you're going to have trouble making a purchase.

Also, NEVER share why you're buying something. If the clerk keeps insisting that you should buy something else, don't give in, or try to explain why you don't want to buy that something else. Just insist that you know what you're buying, you like it, that you've used it before, and you're not going to try something new. They'll sell it to you, rather than lose a sale... they're more likely to just think that you're stubborn and are afraid of the unknown, not that you're up to something.

<small>[ May 12, 2002, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: Pu239 Stuchtiger ]</small>

mongo blongo
May 13th, 2002, 03:47 PM
If they ask anything about what you want it for then just act dumb and say that your farther asked you pick it up for him and you don't know what he wants it for. I have never been asked questions except when I was buying H2SO4 from a car battery dealer. He asked what I wanted it for and I said my farther had some dry batteries that needed to be topped up. I said that I would prefer a high concentration so that it would be easier to carry and that my farther can add distilled water to it and get it to 35%. He had no conc H2SO4 in stock at the time :( so I just got some 35% acid.