View Full Version : Home Made C-4 a Closer Look (vid)

AfterRain
July 30th, 2002, 04:47 AM
Hey,
This might seem kewl :( , but im slow moving into the explosives. :)
I recently d/led this movie, and i watched it, like it very much, but they say to use 430g Ammonium Nitrate,80mil Nitromethane and 20g of Aluminum Powder, I understand how to make it. But in this video, I did not hear them say to use the Aluminum Powder, What is this powder used for, and how should i go about making it with this powder :confused:
Also what would i need to add such as a plasticizer to make this moldable :confused:
Would I need a clasting cap to det this , or would a fuse be good for it :confused:
P.S- I had some chemistry knowledge, such how to add and subtract the elements.. But its been way to long to recall this , But that was the extent of that. Does anyone have any good books/sites that i could get to read and understand the works of Chemistry and Explosives better ?

thanks alot... AfterRain

<small>[ July 30, 2002, 03:51 AM: Message edited by: AfterRain ]</small>

a_bab
July 30th, 2002, 05:40 AM
First of all - actually you don't have to use Al powder. This will speed up the vod and raise the temperature of the detonation, but is not a vital component. Only AN an NM is plenty enough for making kinepak. The crap like "is as better as C4" is Ragnar's style; you don' have to believe this.
A blasting cap is absolutely necesary; only a fuse is useless as in the most cases dealing with explosives. HE cannot be detonated by a fuse !
I remember the scenes in different movies where the hero stuck a fuse into a stick of dynamite. FALSE ! You'll need a powerful blastig cap, easy to make with some organic peroxide, i.e. The fuse they use is a detonating cord, which is totally different: is a fuse filled with some HE (in our days PETN) which will "burn" (actually detonate) with more than 7 km/sec ! So it'll act just like a blasting cap.

This explosive cannot be made mouldable like C4 because NM is very volatile. All you can do is to seal it in a bag and use it in a week.

There are a HUGE number of chemistry books on the ctrl_c's ftp. Just reading the forum threads may help you alot.

AfterRain
July 30th, 2002, 06:00 AM
I did'nt belive that it was better, because in the vid, they showed the fps of the det and true c4 was like 26600 and this "C4" was like 24600, something like that, so right off the bat i know it was not as good as true c4.. The reason i ask about this is , im planing to make a LSC, with this instead of AP/AN or other primary explosives, altho, from what i understand i will need one to det it... If i use a metal houseing case for the SC, will this trigger a reaction? and same with useing a copper linear? Also, will this be LSC setup be able to take some sudden movements? Ehh, forgot something again.. If i align all these LSC, were each one cotacts each at the corner, will i need a Blasting cap for each one or will the det from the first set off like a chain reaction effect or will i need to run a flex straw from each other? And is there any way i can "safe guard" it , by adding wax/wax paper to the sc after its made ?

<small>[ July 30, 2002, 05:10 AM: Message edited by: AfterRain ]</small>

xoo1246
July 30th, 2002, 07:09 AM
First, adding Al to ANNM lowers VoD (you are right about the fact that it increases the temperature of explosion).
Second this post is kewl. I mean, has all of this been covered before?

AfterRain
July 30th, 2002, 07:16 AM
you know what, im sure it has, but its not on this forum it could of been on the old forum and if its on this forum then its in some symbol i dont understand and if thats it, that im sorry..
And now that I know ANNM is what im talking about, you right its on this forum, and I stand corrected.
But will i need to use a cap for each , i plan on using 4 sc's or will the det from one det the others?

<small>[ July 30, 2002, 06:40 AM: Message edited by: AfterRain ]</small>

KinePak
July 30th, 2002, 09:22 AM
yes but only if you duct tape the charges to each other, otherwise you will have to use either blasting caps for each charge, or just use some det-cord, which is what i use and is much better. I live where i can buy this explosive without a license, actually i can buy all explosives without a license, i just have to have an approved magazine. Try to find some det-cord, its much safer when setting off multiple charges

AfterRain
July 30th, 2002, 09:42 AM
now, im thinking before i add the chems to it, that i'd put all them together to form a square but allow only one side to be filled, which would spread out and sooner or later fill all the open space , then fill it in , so this way i'd only need 1 detcord/cap , and it'd be like a shoch wave type effect , which i think will slightly incress the cutting power

ALENGOSVIG1
July 30th, 2002, 02:55 PM
This has all been covered before and could be found with a simple search.

TOPIC CLOSED.