View Full Version : Pernitric acid

tvs17
September 9th, 2001, 04:10 PM
Does anyone have more information on the properties/synthesis of pernitric acid(HO-O-NO2)?

CodeMason
September 9th, 2001, 08:44 PM
I don't have any detailed information with me at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it can be made by the reaction of H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>2</sub> on HNO<sub>3</sub>, and it would be a -very- strong oxidizer, I'm pretty sure stronger than permanganates, and it may even be explosively unstable (especially in the presence of things like cellulose, etc.)

tvs17
September 10th, 2001, 02:14 AM
Yes, I know already it is an extremely strong oxidizer, only make the comparisation with ordinary HNO3!
But I would like some more info before I am going to try things that I am going to regret later ;-).
It is probably an extremely reactive and unstable chemical that I don't want to make anyway, but if someone has some info about that I really would like to have it.

[This message has been edited by tvs17 (edited September 10, 2001).]

Microtek
September 10th, 2001, 07:38 AM
Do you have a specific use in mind, or is it just curiosity?

tvs17
September 10th, 2001, 08:39 AM
No, just curiosity. But I am *really* interested in properties of this chemical! How it behaves in reactions etc.

tvs17
September 10th, 2001, 04:13 PM
I've spend some time in the university library but I only found some environmental shit on the atmosphere about pernitric acid. HNO4 seems to be formed in quite large quantities by reaction of also formed nitric acid or nitric oxides with al kinds of (per)oxy compounds and/or radicals. Very weird reactions that probably can't be performed on lab-scale.
So I am still waiting on that one person that knows something more about this chemical :-)!!