View Full Version : AN used as a desiccant?

Fingerless
September 10th, 2001, 07:32 PM
I stumbled upon a lot of about 4 pound bags used as desiccant when shipping Caterpillar parts. One bag was ripped open, and inside was a fine, white powder-not the standard silica gel used for most desiccants-does anyone know if this is ammonium nitrate? Knowing AN is hydroscopic, it would make sense-and the visual properties are just like AN. Any indicators to find out, without prematurely using it in explosives? I think its worth my time to find out-its free, and theres lots of it-and if its AN its already powdered finely.

Anthony
September 10th, 2001, 07:37 PM
Possibly calcium chloride.

Find the thread about telling the difference between NH4NO3 and KNO3, it has information on tests which can identify NH4NO3.

CodeMason
September 10th, 2001, 07:45 PM
Why on earth would every white powder you see be AN? It's most likely alum, calcium chloride or calcium oxide.

Fingerless
September 10th, 2001, 09:12 PM
Every white powder isn't.

But a fine white powder thats indistinguishable from AN, AND is used as a desiccant, well thats two strikes for AN. I just thought, since AN is hydroscopic and draws moisture out of the air, wouldn't it make sense it it was used in bags as a desiccant? Plus, AN can also be dryed out and will absorb more moisture, another good property for a desiccant, and these are the same properties of the material in the bag.

Ill look for that thread anthony

Fingerless
September 10th, 2001, 09:15 PM
If I remember right, calcium chloride is rarely in powder, its used in the form of small balls. At least all the stuff I've seen, correct me If I'm wrong.

megalomania
September 10th, 2001, 11:21 PM
You usually don't find any desiccant in the form of a powder because they cake up from moisture. Calcium chloride can be powdered, granular, or prilled, depending on the intended use. A higher surface (powder) area is better for moisture absorption, the prills are typically for ice melting. Again, the powder will just cake up and become granular anyway.

Your supposition that a mysterious white powder must be ammonium nitrate is not very scientific of you. Don't tell me you are going to be running taste tests to find out what it is http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif The most common desiccant is silica gel. Other common desiccants are montmorillonite clay, calcium oxide, calcium sulfate (Drierite), alumina, and strong acids (not in your case). The criteria is one that is thirsty, cheap, and nontoxic. Ammonium nitrate is not in the same league as most dessicants, it would be a poor choice for one (in a general use application that is, for a specialized use maybe, but from what you said I doubt it could be AN.

Of course you can never underestimate the varity of industry. Maybe the manufacturer got a hugh cheap truckload of the stuff and used it

------------------
For the most comprehensive and informative web site on explosives and related topics, go to Megalomania's Controversial Chem Lab at http://surf.to/megalomania

Fingerless
September 10th, 2001, 11:45 PM
Gee, megalo, I already did the taste test! You coulda told me earlier! I ate three pounds of it, so I could make sure I would feel the effects. I'm feeling really dry inside, and my turds are like sandpaper.

Seriously, I didn't really presume it was AN, just saying its a possibility. I'm positive its not silica gel, clay or acid (Not with metal parts!), and upon closer examination it appears to not be calcium chloride. I'm not aware of the properties of the other calciums, however. Could very well be one of them. I've found AN in bulk pretty cheap, I've seen it as low as $1 a pound at farmers co-ops.

Fingerless
September 10th, 2001, 11:47 PM
These have been used quite a bit, are powder, and have not caked up even when containing large amounts of moisture.