View Full Version : OLD TOPIC - CELL FONE RUNS HOME LINE

AfterRain
May 11th, 2002, 04:11 AM
Right i was in Radio Shack the other day and i seen a base unit that you put a nokia fone in, and what that did, was allow you to use and fone in your house and it would dial out thro your cell fone.I guess that person eiter a had a good idea , or stole it.EIther or, its cool i guess

Zach
May 11th, 2002, 11:26 AM
i cant really see a use for that right at the moment... 1) because it would either be your cell phone (trackable) or a stolen one and 2) because the call would still originate from your address or wherever your calling from... still trackable

Anthony
May 11th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Does this have any kind of use?

Just seems to be an expensive way to make phone calls from your house to me.

AfterRain
May 11th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Zach, How is that traceable ? its not, it dont give your address because its goin' thro your cell, its traceable , but they would trace the calls back to your cell....

Well if you wanted to have a safe house, like an old run down crib, you could use this to have workin' fones and shit, so....

Zach
May 11th, 2002, 01:57 PM
IIRC the location of cell phone useage can be tracked via satellite or some variety of triangulation with the cell phone towers.
it would be more practical to just use the cell phone, unless you need to use it as a hub for your family or something.

Wicked
May 11th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Zach, do you know how they work? just get inbetween two repeaters, and set up wireless transmitters, just use a directional antenna and point it at the other repeater 8 miles away, and wh00ps, they gotta start all over again, as they find that they are tracking wireless transmitters that are hopping the signels. Heh heh, I like to do that with my ham radio and laptop, get into the phone patch. :D

Zach
May 11th, 2002, 10:14 PM
seems like an awful lot of techie stuff that i dont get. :rolleyes:
how hard would it be to aim this thing at another one 8 miles away?
[edit]:note that i am retarded and did not notice "directional antenna".
would the cost of all this effort and equipment be efficient?:[edit]

<small>[ May 11, 2002, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Zach ]</small>

Wicked
May 11th, 2002, 10:20 PM
Not hard at all, and its not very hard, im freaking fourteen and I can do it in a few seconds provided I have:

1) a few transevers, programmable, of course (usb port programming? :) )
2) a soldoring iron + soldor
3) a screwdriver, and the directional antenna, and maybe an AMP. so that it would shoot the signle that far.

PYRO500
May 12th, 2002, 02:27 AM
It is much more difficult that just adding another transmitter.
It is clear you do not know how cell phones work, they are transmitting and recieving on 3 diffrent frequencys (at least) all the time, they must recieve the data channels for the cell service and they must transmit the voice and recieve voice all on diffrent frequencys, the control data frequencyes change the freq. that your phone runs on thus you can change channels in the middle of a conversation and not know it (hapens all the time) and the frequency is given to someone else. now these are all controled by interlinked computers that recognize if there is a transmission on a frequency there isn't sapposed to be they will know you are trying to fool them. as for tracking abusers down they don't bother with triangulation they just have high gain directional antennas and drivearound with the cops honing in on you a second trasmitter is going to be obvious and not show up very well at certain angles due to it being directional but if you make your cell phone the one with the directional antenna you have to keep it adjusted and it isn't going to get the right data to work with that tower.

Wicked
May 12th, 2002, 02:34 AM
I do know how, thats why you use transivers! DUH.

PYRO500
May 12th, 2002, 04:08 AM
the point being is that cell phone towers automatically switch the nearest signal into the nearest cell making what you are describing impossible life just isn't fair is it?