View Full Version : Ammonia Dynamite

McGuyver
August 3rd, 2002, 12:43 AM
I'd like to know if there's actually a set amount of ammonium nitrate to be absorbed by a set amount of nitroglycerin, or maybe some percents.

For those who have made it or know how- do you just add it until all the NG is absorbed or something like that?

I have a lot of, what I'm sure are, NG sencitized AN formulas. So I am just looking for dynamite formulas.

Also, if you think there is something better to absorb the nitro lets
hear it.

Einstein
August 3rd, 2002, 06:19 AM
I think that first you should use SEARCH...these have been covered in other topic if I remember correct. Secondly, you could go to library and find OLD literature about these kind of stuff or just some OLD encyklopedia. Also you could do search on patents....there should be intsructions etc etc etc....

Mr Cool
August 3rd, 2002, 06:49 AM
"I have a lot of, what I'm sure are, NG sencitized AN formulas."

Please explain to me the difference between AN sensitised with NG and ammonia dynamite...

This subject is covered by the ANFO w/o booster thread.

Edit: I've just realised that you ALREADY HAVE asked this question in that thread!!
:mad: :mad:

<small>[ August 03, 2002, 05:54 AM: Message edited by: Mr Cool ]</small>

nuclearattack
October 28th, 2004, 02:15 PM
The higher NG percentage i heard in ammonia dynamite is 40% and a bit of NC is required to reduce swinging...but what is the higher NG percentage that AN is able to absorb without using NC?
Has anyone some experience with ammonia dynamite?
How much is it more powerfull than ANNM with the same NM percentage?

tom haggen
October 28th, 2004, 03:30 PM
You suck dude. I can't believe you brought back this 2 year old thread to ask such a gay question. It says right in this thread that most of the information you need to know about ammonium dynamite is in the anfo without a booster thread. But anyway, I've done some ammonium dynamite with 50% nitroglycerin by weight; it was excessively soupy and unmanageable. It’s quite simple actually to make this type of dynamite. So pull your head out of your ass.

nuclearattack
October 29th, 2004, 06:32 AM
I read the ANFO without booster thread but i don't find that informations very precise. Infact, i noticed that if i use more than 20% NG by weight i obtain a layer of NG on the bottom. I think that AN is able to absorb more NM than NG, maybe because NG is more viscous. This is why i wrote in this thread about it. Making ammonia dynamite with 50% NG will give a kind of thick slurry and this isn't as good as it can seems so the one that sucks is you!
Another thing: i think that writing posts on "ANFO without booster" thread on ammonia dynamite is not the best place. ANFO without booster is one thing and ammonia dynamite is another thing, so if someone wants to write about ammonia dynamite it should be made on it's thread because it is more ON TOPIC.
Again...i'm not the one that sucks!

nbk2000
October 29th, 2004, 12:50 PM
People who start flame wars hear a great SUCKing sound as a black void opens up under their feet and they disappear into the singularity of a HED-hole.

tom haggen
October 29th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Alright I'll calm down. I just had the same question for months, and I just figured it was inappropriate to post in this thread because of where it had already gone.

nuclear attack- If you don't use NC to gelatinize your ammonium dynamite you are going to have a lot of proplems with sweaty dynamite. Really it's something that can be figured out by trial and error. If you use a wax type paper or something for sticks of dynamite it will probably help keep in excess nitroglycerin. I've been thinking about that idea for a while but have yet to apply it. The idea kind came from seeing old pictures of commercial dynamite. They seem to use a water resistant paper like container.

nuclearattack
October 29th, 2004, 02:52 PM
OK OK! I made a fresh shower and now i'm calm, i was only disappointed from Tom's post but this isn't a problem now.
Ok Tom! Just friends?
About the NC i know that it should be used but i want to know if someone had some experience with more than 20% NG.
Ammonia dynamite is a good HE but i made it only a few times because when i have NG i don't resist to make some blasting gelatine!
Gelatins are my love!

Boomer
November 2nd, 2004, 01:55 PM
Ammonia dynamite contains not only AN/NG but also some absorbent like wood or flour. That is why your mixes turn to slurry so fast. The additional fuel also makes use if the surplus oxygen from the AN, therefore increases power for a given percentage of NG.

We used a 20% (IIRC) version for cutting wood lenghtwise without much fragmentation. The pieces were sold for construction (stables, fence posts), the frags for firewood.