View Full Version : Acetone volatility

Hvoroba
May 12th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Is it possible to minimize/stop completely the evaporation of acetone by mixing it with a chemical, while keeping it at slightly alcaline pH, and without loosing it's solvent properties? I'm trying to make an AP/nitrocellulose based plastic explosive using the same method as AP putty. Thanks.

DBSP
May 12th, 2002, 02:09 PM
I doubt that it would work, acetone is acetone and acetone is voilate.

Hvoroba
May 14th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Perhaps there is the possibility of mixing and AP/vaseline mixture with a mixture of nitrocellulose/acetone in the correct proportions to create a homogenous putty. Perhaps the vaseline would act as a thick oily layer which will prevent the acetone molecules to leave the mixture. And maybe not.
Thanks anyway.

VX
May 14th, 2002, 02:18 PM
How about making the mix that you want, and either using it straight away, or keeping it in an airtight container until you want to use it? :)

Hvoroba
May 15th, 2002, 04:51 PM
But if I keep it in an airtight container, it would still vaporize and condense at the upper layer, so when I open it I would see a layer of Acetone over the already dry mixture, this is of course assuming that the vaseline would be ineffective. Anyway, it's worth a try. Thanks for the advice.

VX
May 16th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Keep it in a very small container... i.e. One that it only just fits into. This way the small air gap at the top would soon become saturated with vapours and no more would evaporate.

Arkangel
May 16th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Hvoroba, reading some of your posts above, I'm unsure if are you talking about volatility of Acetone, or Acetone peroxide, please clarify.

Thanks

<small>[ May 16, 2002, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Arkangel ]</small>

Hvoroba
May 16th, 2002, 05:38 PM
Acetone.