View Full Version : Benzofuroxan and derivatives

Microtek
December 3rd, 2002, 11:51 AM
Dinitro benzofuroxan is a dense, powerful HE that is generally regarded as being too sensitive for use as a high explosive, however amino derivatives are being investigated for use and salts such as potassium dinitro benzofuroxan can be used in primary compositions.

US patent number 4185018 details the preparation of DNBF by oxidation with NaOCl of o-nitroanilines which can optionally be substituted at the 4 and 5 positions. They mention some of the substituents that can be attached at those sites, but NO2 is not one of them.
o-nitroaniline is not so easy to prepare, as the nitration of aniline will give both o- and p-nitroaniline.
Now my idea was to dinitrate aniline to give primarily 2,4-dinitroaniline which is then oxidized to mononitrobenzofuroxan and nitrated to dinitro...
The full synthesis from Na-benzoate would then be something like this:

- Distillation of Na-benzoate and Ca(OH)2 to give benzene.
- Mononitration of benzene with mixed acids.
- Reduction of nitrobenzene with Fe/HCl to give aniline.
- Dinitration of aniline to give 2,4-dinitroailine ( does anyone know how much 2,6-nitroaniline woul be made ?)
- Oxidation with NaOCl to give nitrobenzofuroxan.
- Nitration to give DNBF.

Of course this assumes that a nitro substituent does not interfere with the oxidative ringclosure.

Mr Cool
December 3rd, 2002, 01:32 PM
The other common method is by reacting a 1,2-chloronitrobenzene with NaN3 to form a 1,2-azidonitrobenzene, followed by elimination of nitrogen.
The .pdf documents "New Explosives" and "New Energetic Materials" (which I think I downloaded from the .ftp, but if not I'll e-mail them to those that are interested) contain information on quite a few furazans and furoxans (both on benzene rings, and on their own).
CL-18, aminonitrobenzodifuroxan, is a powerful IHE, and I get the impression that all furoxans are less sensitive than the corresponding nitro compounds. Maybe dinitrobenzofuroxan is just too sensitive compared to things like NTO, TATB and other IHE's that the military like, but not compared to TNT, RDX etc?

Mr Cool
December 8th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Marvin, I'm having trouble sending that second document that you asked for to you. I forgot that you can't just select and copy/paste bits of .pdf's!!
I'll try to find out if I did get it from the ftp, if I didn't then I'll post a link to where you can download it, if I did then I'll try to figure something out...

zaibatsu
December 8th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Mr Cool, if you just want to take a small amount of text from a protected PDF just zoom in so it's nice and big on your screen, and use the "Print screen" button. Then, opened up an image editor, paste it, crop to desired size and save as whatever.

Marvin
December 9th, 2002, 12:06 AM
Thankyou MrCool,

I find winrar to be very useful for compressing and splitting files. Image pdfs dont compress much, but Ive found others compress very well. The compression method in pdfs doesnt seem to be very clever. Ctrl_C was still considering my ftp application when it went down, I will reapply now it is back up.