View Full Version : Cyalume glowsticks \ liquid glow comppound

Fl4PP4W0k
December 4th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Hey ppl, I have an idea for New Years Eve (and other potential occasions) that involves the use of large quantities of 'glow liquid'.
You have all seen this stuff - in those glow sticks \ jewelry that ravers wear.

What I'm trying to find out, is the exact chemical composition of the damn things!!!

I found this PDF, which seems relatively informative:
<a href="http://216.239.53.100/search?q=cache:V2LJVFNpZ_YC:www.dti.gov.uk/homesafetynetwork/pdf/flouresc.pdf+Dibutyl+phthalate+green+glow+chemical s&hl=en&ie=UTF-8" target="_blank">http://216.239.53.100/search?q=cache:V2LJVFNpZ_YC:www.dti.gov.uk/homesafetynetwork/pdf/flouresc.pdf+Dibutyl+phthalate+green+glow+chemical s&hl=en&ie=UTF-8</a>

So far, I have discovered that the main compound is Dibutyl phthalate. Then there is the activator, H2O2. There is some 'oxalate' solution which provides coloring?? This is where i get confused....

What exactly IS an oxalate solution??? From an old chem book, it says that an oxalate is "a salt or ester of oxalic acid".
Ok then... so something like Barium Oxalate would give me a green glow???

Im confused :S

Does anyone know about the chemical processes involved in these things?

TIA.
Rob

nbk2000
December 4th, 2002, 09:39 AM
A Google search using the words "cyalume" and "patent" would have yielded the desired information.

Marvin
December 4th, 2002, 04:45 PM
As a basis for understanding the patents, which are usually intended to be legally binding, rather than informative, I'll run through the main ideas. This is one part of chemistry I find most interesting.

The contents of the lightstick, is a small glass phial containing hydrogen peroxide, inside a plastic tube containing dibutyl pthalate, an 'oxalate ester' and a fluorescent dye. The oxalate ester is, like is implied, an ester of oxalic acid (COOH)2 and a phenol with several chlorine or nitro groups on it. The dibutyl pthalate is the major constituant, but its just a solvent. When broken the peroxide reacts with the oxalate ester producing unstable molecules of the dioxetane type (CO2)2 in an unusually high 'excited' energy state, this energy is often transfered to the dye which emits light. The oxalate ester provides the power, the dye determines the colour of the light emitted.

The plastic container ends up pressurised from the CO2 the dioxetane breaks down into. If the container is opened, the reaction produces less light, and lasts much less time. Ive covered a tennis ball with this stuff and the light is much more feeble and only lasts a few mins. It is possible to make these chemicals in a basically well equipped lab, but the precursors arnt that nice. Buying the chemicals themselves is rather expensive, annoying considering how cheap the precursors are.

Interestingly, the oxalate ester of dinitrophenol and picric acid are supposed to work quite well in these reactions. They are not as I understand it decomposed at the end, only the oxalate part falls to bits, the electron ring systems are required to stabilise the excited states until the energy can be transfered to the dye.

Edit, Spelling.

<small>[ December 04, 2002, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Marvin ]</small>

Fl4PP4W0k
December 5th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Thankyou Marvin,

NBK - I searched for Cyalume Patent but no useful info was found...

These oxalate esters, can they be purchased as a pre-made compound? Or is there a relatively simple method to synth one yourself...

This dye... there would have to be something special about it? Does it convert UV radiation to visible spectrum or something?
Or does the reaction straight just make a white light.... hmmm

More researching for me

nbk2000
December 5th, 2002, 07:07 AM
If you searched the USPTO database using "omniglow" or "cyalume" or "lightstick", you'd have more than enough details (chemically and mechanically).

Can't believe I'm having to tell you this.