View Full Version : The most powerful explosive??

Iñaki
June 26th, 2001, 08:18 PM
I have read in many places that the astrolite is the world´s most powerful explosive, but I wonder if the powerful of an explosive (assuming that it is comparing with another with the same mass, compression...) depends mainly in the detonation velocity, because if it´s so, the detonation velocity of astrolite is 8600 m/sec and for example the HMX, 9100 m/sec, it should be more powerful? If I am wrong, could anyone tell me which is the most poweful explosive and its detonation velocity or compared in power with TNT ??

Thanks a lot (I know it was a silly question but It was only curiosity) Thanks again

CyclonitePyro
June 26th, 2001, 08:51 PM
If you are talking about heaving power than the the lower the VoD the better. The slower shockwave won't break up the rock, dirt, and allow the explosive gasses formed to escape, this gives the compressed gasses more time to stay high pressure thus moving more earth. I've heard that Nitroglycerine creates the largest volume of gasses per weight than other explosives. If your talking about shattering force than a higher det velocity is preferred.
I'm sure some of the other members can explain a little better.

Mick
June 27th, 2001, 02:59 AM
to my understanding the higher the VOD, the more it will shredd things

the lower the VOD, the slower the expanding gasses move, thus the expanding gas picks objects up and moves them, rather then cut thru them

ALENGOSVIG1
June 27th, 2001, 03:36 AM
since this isnt directly talking about any high explosive in specific i will move to misc.

cutefix
June 27th, 2001, 09:25 AM
Hello ,gang,I see that you are comparing explosive power with respect to TNT.There is a site that will give you a simple idea :
http://www.xinventions.com/main/pyro/info_explosives.htm

ANTI-SYSTEM
June 28th, 2001, 01:51 AM
^ not an all to accurate referance. nitrostarch and PETN are almost the same.
I think not.

cutefix
June 28th, 2001, 06:34 AM
I know it pal,it was shown in the heading that the author itself admit it.That is not very important however;that simple explosive information will help our new members have an initial idea about the power of explosives ,its charactestics -which will help incite their curiosity to learn more about the fascinating ,educational and practical aspects of explosive science.If they discover some discrepancies of information,then that’s a healthy sign; it will bring confidence on them to dig deeper into the subject and will help initiate them to critical thinking and intelligent discussions which will benefit the forum.

Anthony
June 28th, 2001, 07:06 PM
I think it'd be better to give newbies information written by someone who doesn't think low explosives detonate and that primary HE's are not sensitive to heat, friction and static! His definition of a HE is also questionable.

cutefix
June 28th, 2001, 10:12 PM
Well,you have a point there,again any dedicated enthusiast will always find a way to improve his learning,nobody has the monopoly for knowledge,how you percieve any information recieved is left to the descrimination of the reader.If you had any suggestion why not give some.I know that xinventions have their limitations but I have an open mind and will not disparage competing forum,because that's an exercise of narrowmindedness.

ANTI-SYSTEM
June 28th, 2001, 11:51 PM
cutefix, you sound so close to the pages reasoning. almost as if your andy himself. either that or you can find the good in everythinghttp://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/wink.gif

Anthony
June 29th, 2001, 12:19 AM
http://www.surf.to/megalomania

In the explosives section.

There's VoD and other information on every explosive listed and gives you a reliable and accurate synthesis to boot. I didn't even have to use my google finger to find that onehttp://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif

Xinventions is in NO WAY a rival forum, maybe a rival to TOTSE, I only know it exists from people posting examples here of the crap posted there.

There is no alterior motive behind me pointing out the flaws on the page linked to. The information may not be especially dangerous to a newbie but giving them incorrect information on the basic fundementals of explosives is going ot lead to confusion and possibly mistakes in the future.

cutefix
June 30th, 2001, 01:40 AM
Tony, I appreciate your concern about extraneous information presented that may be misconstrued as misleading.I was presenting the most concise tabulated information so as to make them grasp the gist of what our new members are discussing then.Somehow I was not aware of the fact that xinventions are not so concerned compared to virtualave in presenting their information.Yet I still stick with what I think that a dedicated learner can separate the chaff from the grain. But, the dabbler within this forum will swallow every information that will lead to their demise(loss of interest in learning due to gullibility and confusion)).That will certainly weed out the undesirables in us.Remember:
“There is no Royal Road to Knowledge”.
This is what I like with The Forum.What makes us safe and reliable is the dedication that you and other moderators have done to install checks and balances resulting that our media have contents that is worth its weight in gold!
I salute you fellows!
Anti-system nothing in this world could be labeled as good or bad.It is relative to the observer.If that person has some wisdom,he can find value in the most rotten thing.Remember, this is what inventors are made of;" percieve the beauty out of ugliness,create fertility out of barreness,and make use of it."

[This message has been edited by cutefix (edited June 30, 2001).]

Anthony
July 1st, 2001, 09:17 PM
Fair enough. I must admit that the table did present the data nicely and makes comparison easy, but I was worried that someone might not be able to sort the grain from the chaff as you said and take it as biblical (I suppose being linked from here does give the site a certain status concerning quality). Also that a newbie might explore the rest of the site and take the information on it without the pinch of salt required.

I don't want to get into an arguement over something so silly so I'll say no morehttp://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif

Mr Cool
July 2nd, 2001, 06:02 PM
A way of comparing briscancies:
max.VoD * max.VoD * max.density

Energy released per gram per second of any explosive can easily be worked out using the equations, bond energies, densities and VoD's.

hairyjoe
August 16th, 2001, 02:06 AM
to find the energy released, wouldnt you just find the reation of the explosion, such as CH4 + 2O2 -> CO2 + 2H2O and then find the difference between the enthalpy of the products and the enthalpy of the reactants, and the result would be the energy released. from this you could use stochiometric calculations to find whatever you wanted.

[This message has been edited by hairyjoe (edited August 16, 2001).]

cutefix
August 16th, 2001, 05:23 AM
Nowadays,the standard explosive for comparison against more powerful ones is HMX or cyclotetramethylenetrinitramine.That’s why HNIW,TNGU etc are compared against it…