View Full Version : Phosphorescent Compounds

X-Wulf
November 26th, 2001, 11:23 AM
I recently did some research into phosphorescent (glow-in-the-dark) substances, and found that they are all comprised of one of two "active ingredients".
These are some complex aluminium compound or Zinc Sulphide. Yes, apparently that relatively easy to synthesise compound ZnS glows in the dark. Has anybody tried this?

I found another reference which claims that by "bonding" the ZnS to copper [ZnS(Cu)] it is far more effective at absorbing the light energy imparted to it.

------------------
Live Forever!

mongo blongo
November 26th, 2001, 01:32 PM
Not realy the place to disguss this but I love glow in the dark stuff.
Have you ever seen thoes glow sticks with the glowing liquid stuff in them?
Im planning to get a shit load of them and open them up and put the liquid in a plastic bag. I will then shove a bcap under it and fire it in the dark! That's gona look crazy!
You could also put the liquid in a spray bottle and in the dark you would have this glowing vapour floating in the air! It would look like a fucking ghost or something!
You could scare the shit out of people with this!
It could also be used as a harmless weapon eg. if some fucker was going to mug you, just spray him with it. He would be so confused on what the fuck just happened, it would give you time to knock the fucker out or something!
Well it's just some stoned up ideas I have.

------------------
AAARRRRRHHH! My beautiful eyes! It burns!
The goggles do nothing!AAARRRRRHHH!

[This message has been edited by mongo blongo (edited 11-26-2001).]

nbk2000
November 26th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Hate to bust your bubble, but that won't work.

The stuff works through controlled oxidation. Once the fluid is fully oxidized, it no longer glows.

And the smaller the amount of fluid, the quicker it oxidizes.

Thus, puddle of lightstick oxidizes in a couple of minutes, spray in milliseconds.

Know because I've tried it already. http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/frown.gif

On the bright side, there's high strength hydrogen peroxide in the glass vial. But the cost is prohibitive. And besides, the sticks are more fun.

You know they make IR glowsticks that can only be seen by night vision? About $3 per stick from the manufacturer.

I got some of those and the 5 minute hi-power orange from the manufacturer for free via scam.

NO! I'm not going to tell you how and have 50 kewls fuck it off for me.

Anyways, the orange are kinda disappointing. They only last for closer to 2 minutes before fading out totally in about 8. It'll light up a room about the same as a small nightlight buld for those 2 minutes.

The IR are totally invisible to the naked eye, but I don't know how well they'd be visible to NV since I didn't have any at the time.

------------------
"I have begun evil, I shall end evil. That is the end that awaits me."

Go here (http://briefcase.yahoo.com/nbk2ooo) to download the NBK2000 files and videos.

mongo blongo
November 26th, 2001, 02:37 PM
Hydorgen Peroxide you say?
I don't know what is in them but the ones I can get say they are non-toxic.
Do they all work by oxidation?
Could it be dispersed in another liquid to give it a protective coating?
Ah Fuck it! I could just use some normal glow in the dark paint or something.

------------------

X-Wulf
November 27th, 2001, 11:12 AM
If ZnS does work, then that would be far better. Being phosphorescent, it doesn't rely on oxidation, instead simply releases "stored" energy over a greater period of time.

B.T.W. they used to use ZnS in g.i.t.d. face paint, but it was banned in some countries "awaiting further testing".

Perhaps it could be mixed in with water or even a glaze to make a g.i.t.d. spray?

------------------
Live Forever!

mongo blongo
November 27th, 2001, 11:50 AM
It does sound interesting.
Have you got any ideas on synth?

------------------

X-Wulf
November 28th, 2001, 10:47 AM
I know that ZnS can be precipitated by reacting Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S) with a Zinc Chloride solution (ZnCl2).
H2S is prepared by reacting a metal sulphide (e.g. FeS) with HCl (pool acid should work). This gas is then bubbled through the chloride solution.
I have not yet tried to obtain either FeS or ZnCl2, so unfortunately I'm not too sure of their "controlled state".

------------------
Live Forever!

vulture
November 28th, 2001, 01:09 PM
ZnCl2 can be made by putting a zink electrode and an electrode of another metal(which will not be attacked) into a NaCl solution and electrolysing that one. I just don't know if you have to connect it to the positive or negative pole and which metal to use on the other electrode...

mongo blongo
November 29th, 2001, 11:13 AM
I think you could use a carbon electrode.

------------------