Author Topic: Can ketone make it through a full a/b titration?  (Read 1904 times)

Wargasm

Can ketone make it through a full a/b titration?
« on: December 17, 2003, 06:59:00 AM »
What a fucked evening.
OK, her is my question.  Phill Pill was performing a Al/Hg, and due to circumstanses beyond his control could not make it back to the bat cave for 3 days after the alalgam was done.
So...
the post amalgam sat for 3 days before the left over Al was strained, rinsed the solvent basified, and extracted with xylene.  There was almose no unreacted Al, where there is usualy quite a bit.  It was then washed, titrated with dilute HCl, and basified, then extracted with DCM.
Here is the fun part.
The DCM was distilled, and when he tried to distill the MDMA freebase, it came over with that antifreeze ketone color.
Unfortunatly, I changed my pump oil, so my temps aren't consistant.  I usualy get ketone at 95-118, and freebase at 105-123, depending on the mood of my pump.  The distilation happened at 104C, so it could be either.
I thought ketone couln't make it through an A/B titration, but it looks like it did.  Can it?
This sucks, I hate failures.

Rhodium

something is wrong
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 07:47:00 AM »
It should not be carried through a proper acid-base extraction, so either you have another colored contaminant in there, or you messed up the a/b somehow.