Author Topic: Drying a heating mantle  (Read 1221 times)

neopharmaphobia

Drying a heating mantle
« on: October 20, 2003, 02:42:00 PM »
Hi. Due to some circumstances a heating mantle, 1L in size, has become soaking wet. It will not dry, haning or leaving upside-down for a few days. A hair dryer doesn't help. I was pondering about putting it in the clothes dryer, but decided that would probably melt the power cord. I don't want to plug it in to dry it because I'm afraid it may short out or something. Is it safe to dry the mantle by turning it on (with a flask in it ofcourse)? Else, how else may I be able to dry it?

Thank you.

Rhodium

Do NOT turn it on!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 02:50:00 PM »
Is it safe to dry the mantle by turning it on (with a flask in it ofcourse)?

It is not okay... I learned that in a way which cost me $200 in a 1000 mL power-regulated mantle...

I'd suggest that you place it on a radiator, or in the oven on 40-50°C (measured with a thermometer!). Or maybe inside a plastic bag together with 250g anhydrous CaCl2 (to mimick a desiccator).

RoundBottom

what
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 03:32:00 PM »
became wet with what?  water is one thing, oils, acids and bases are another thing entirely.

pHarmacist

-
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2003, 03:41:00 PM »
acids and bases are another thing entirely.

You mean electrolytes perhaps... (spellcheck)

archivist

I dried a 500 mL mantle no problem by just...
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2003, 06:14:00 PM »
I dried a 500 mL mantle no problem by just plugging it in and leaving it on high for a few days.  It gave a few really good zaps though when I toughed it to see how hot it was.  It will take forever, but eventually the thing will dry.