Author Topic: proper steam distillation apparatus for camphor  (Read 4035 times)

fruitbag

proper steam distillation apparatus for camphor
« on: September 24, 2004, 09:36:00 AM »
I was dreaming..

I've read many posts on here, and it seems I have not gathered much as of yet. What I [think] I have learned is.. that camphor oil is seperated from the plant matter by Steam Distillation. I have seen several methods of steam distillation and was curious which one works best for camphor.

I live in florida and have many camphor trees around. 5-6 months ago I dug some root out of the ground and shaved the bark off. I have a little over 1kg. I've read a few posts on here that says the bark needs to be used as soon as it is harvested. Does this mean if it is stored for some time the oil just disappears, or breaks down?

1)A diagram of an internal steam distillation setup out of The Organic Chem Lab Survival Manual, 4th Ed., p.219, James W. Zubrick.

What I don't understand is how dropping hot water into the distillation flask is going to be any different than a simple distillation. Getting plant matter into a 24/40 flask would be brutal, so I think using this method for any reasonable quantity would be out of the question.

2) A retail essential oil distiller unit: again getting the material into the flask would be an issue.

http://www.heartmagic.com/EssentialDistiller.html

3) I've seen some posts that used some sort of metal [moonshine] distillery, some suggesting a pressure cooker can be built upon.

Post 260235 (missing)

(ethyl: "Steam distillation of C.Camphor", Newbee Forum)

I also have a 55g drum which may be handy for doing bulk amounts. I have a distillation apparatus, I am not sure if I could somehow connect that to either my pressure cooker or 55g drum, for condensing and collection purposes.

I thought I exhausted my UTFSE abilities, but If any of this has been previously covered here (or on any other site) I'd really appreciate a link, and then you can delete my post and throw rocks at me and whatever else my punishment should be.

Lastly, I Really appreciate all the time you guys have put into this place, spreading your wealth of knowledge. I cannot get enough of it.

thanks

Rhodium

Basic Principles of Steam Distillation
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2004, 01:50:00 PM »
Basic Principles of Steam Distillation

Most essential oils are obtained from the plant material by a process known as steam distillation. An indication of what is involved is given here.

The fundamental nature of steam distillation is that it enables a compound or mixture of compounds to be distilled (and subsequently recovered) at a temperature substantially below that of the boiling point(s) of the individual constituent(s). Essential oils contain substances with boiling points up to 200°C or higher, including some that are solids at normal temperatures. In the presence of steam or boiling water, however, these substances are volatilized at a temperature close to 100°C at atmospheric pressure. The mixture of hot vapours will, if allowed to pass through a cooling system, condense to form a liquid in which the oil and water comprise two distinct layers. Most (but not all) essential oils are lighter than water and form the top layer. The steam that is used for the distillation is generated either within the steel vessel that contains the plant material (by boiling water contained at the base) or by an external boiler.

The use of steam generated within the vessel requires that the leaf be supported above some boiling water by a grid. The water is heated either directly using a fire or by heat exchanger coils. The simplicity of the method makes it suitable for small-scale distillation of essential oils.

If steam is generated, instead, by an external boiler it is introduced into the base of the vessel via an open coil, jets or similar device(s). The advantages of this type of distillation are that it is relatively rapid and capable of greater control by the operator. The vessel can be emptied and recharged quickly and with the immediate reintroduction of steam there is no unnecessary delay in the commencement of the distillation process. Oils produced by this means are more likely to be of acceptable quality than those produced using the more direct method.

Sources:

http://www.fao.org/docrep/V5350E/V5350e13.htm

http://www.chamomile.co.uk/distframe.htm

On the site you mentioned, there are photos & diagrams of stainless steel steam distillers without that 24/40 "stuffing problem":

http://www.heartmagic.com/33Ldistiller/33LiterEssentialDistiller.html

Ascension

Ive seen 1 litre ones of these, water goes in...
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 05:53:00 PM »
Ive seen 1 litre ones of these, water goes in the bottom.
Coffee in the middle (Or plant material)
Sits on stove, water boils, steams passes up through Coffee into top and condeses all in top half.

http://www.vittorio.com.mx/cafetera.gif

Would make steam distilling plant materials a sinch.

Ascension

Ive seen 1 litre ones of these, water goes in...
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 05:54:00 PM »
Ive seen 1 litre ones of these, water goes in the bottom.
Coffee in the middle (Or plant material)
Sits on stove, water boils, steams passes up through Coffee into top and condeses all in top half.

http://www.vittorio.com.mx/cafetera.gif

Would make steam distilling plant materials a sinch.

Then again even in a 1 litre one who knows how much plant material you could get in their.

But if you have it grounded up finely, say to a coffee texture and divided it up into segments you could prob steam distill quite a bit in a short amount of time.

pooky

Simple Steam
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 09:57:00 PM »
Go to your local big box store and get a canning pressure cooker,they hold 7 or so quart jars-the one with a pressure relief valve,$70 or so.Drill a hole in the lid,attach an air fitting,and attach a copper line ('cuz it's flexible)to this.Put this bugger on the stove half full of water (water expands 1200 times or so into steam) and you'll get a whole bloody whack of steam.You could buy a cheap stainless cooking pot(or another pressure cooker),drill a hole in the bottom of that with a nother air fitting,seal the top and have an outlet.Run the steam pipe to the bottom of the pot,and let her rip.The rest is for you to rig up...P