Author Topic: separating catalyst from aluminum -Snotbrain  (Read 2476 times)

dormouse

separating catalyst from aluminum -Snotbrain
« on: April 25, 2000, 12:10:00 AM »

the Hive BB
  Novel Discourse
  separating catalyst from aluminum (RE: Ultrasonone of teh key steps occurs when ics.)

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic 
Author  Topic:   separating catalyst from aluminum (RE: Ultrasonone of teh key steps occurs when ics.) 
Snotbrain
Member   posted 11-13-1999 06:45 PM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Cherie Baby's excellent thread elucidating the use of ultra sonics in reductive processes, one of the key steps was the addition of aluminum powder to the basified alcohol, (also containing the target molecule and the catalyst [ all in the ultrasonic unit]) resulting in the evolution of H2.
I was (more than) interested to note that the production of the gas was much more gradual than I had expected. great! [:< )

HOWEVER, the aluminum / catalyst "filter cake" left is pretty daunting: is there an expeditious way to separate the catalyst from the other constituents to enable the recycling of the catalyst?? (In this theoretical  case Pd/C?? )

Or is it shot after one use. ??

Thank you for your assistance.

snodder

FMAN
Member   posted 11-13-1999 11:58 PM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you are gona wanta link to copper ellectrolysis and related stuff, the sludge used to be tossed  Not anymore that stuff is worth big bucks! Seems different metals can be isolated or grown onto pure and the ludge remains behind, um there is some real inventive guys out the I linked on a few days ago at the couch.....good wrork thanks for some news  -A010-

Rhodium
Administrator   posted 11-14-1999 06:32 AM          
FMAN! Quit blarbing nonsense in the chem forums!
Mr Brain: Soaking it in dilute HCl should dissolve any Al sludge and leave the Pd/C intact (just filter it off).

CHEM GUY
Member   posted 11-16-1999 04:29 PM          
By the way,
If you haven't noticed the hydrolysis of benzyl alcohols with Pd takes place more readily under acidic conditions.

The Al will also disolve and produce H in acid conditions, albeit slower in most instants in comparasion to NaOH. So try adding the Al to EtOH/HCl with Pd/C and some benzyl alcohol.

dwarfer
Member   posted 11-19-1999 04:13 PM          
Thanks Chem Guy: actually got promising results (trying direct hydrogenation in basic solution), but a member of my household threw away the golden yellow liquid as the xylene holding it was being evaporated.
I presume I was misleading myself again: thus once more proving that my stacking up of exciting unproven premises is self deception.

So you HAVE to have the acid solution to effect this: pressure and catalyst will NOT do it in basic. Is this correct??

Thank you.

All times are CT (US)
 next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
    Hop to: Select a Forum or ArchiveList of Forums:General DiscussionAcquisition DiscourseChemistry DiscourseMethods DiscourseNovel DiscourseCrystal MethSerious Chemistry ForumThe Hive CouchSerious Tryptamine DiscourseAdmin Chill-out TentList of Archives:Couch ArchivesClassics!Law and OrderThe litter box.misc. PEAs  

Contact Us | the Hive