Author Topic: OTC HCl gas -Piglet  (Read 2552 times)

dormouse

OTC HCl gas -Piglet
« on: April 21, 2000, 05:11:00 AM »
Author  Topic:   OTC HCl gas 
Piglet
Member   posted 08-05-98 04:44 AM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2NH4Cl + H2SO4 -----> 2HCl + (NH4)2SO4
this came to me last night. Swap the H2SO4 for NaOH and you got an NH3 generator (thats where I nicked the idea from).

Piglet
Member   posted 08-05-98 06:40 AM          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actually, H3PO4 should be even better...
But what governs the production of hydrogen carbonates? H2NH4PO4 etc?

Piglet
Member   posted 08-05-98 11:05 AM          
Actually, boric anhydride is rather easy to make from borax (as bought OTC), What would happen in this case?

Cherrie Baby
Member   posted 08-06-98 08:49 PM          
Anhydrous CaCl2 + HCl (37%) also works to give HCl gas.
When reaction is over just heat residue liquid to regenerate anhydrous CaCl2.

Doesn't work with HCl below 37% very well.

[Got this from J. Chem. Ed.]

Piglet
Member   posted 08-07-98 04:08 AM          
The fact that HCl & H2SO4 are both listed is rather gauling. I wonder if you can use some handy OTC salt to strengthen up the HCl. Magnesium Sulphate (AKA Epsom Salts)?
Piglet 

Cherrie Baby
Member   posted 08-18-98 07:10 PM          
Well I meant that it didn't work with 31% HCl as well but of course it'll work.
"A convenient way to generate hydrogen chloride in the freshman lab. F J Arnaiz

J. Chem. Ed. 1995, page 1139.

Summary:

"In a typical run, 100 g of 35% HCl were added on to 100 g granular CaCl2 (anhydrous) at room temperature (thermal effect is insignificant) and 15 g of HCl(g) were obtained. This represents over 40% yield. But the CaCl2 produced may be dehydrated by heating at ~ 200 C to give anhydrous CaCl2 again. The small amount of Ca(OCl)2 formed in this way is ignored.

Mmm. Sounds better to use concn. H2SO4 and NaCl to me.