Author Topic: Practical P2P synthesis from Bz-CN via Bz(COMe)CN  (Read 28766 times)

tetraedr

Practical P2P synthesis from Bz-CN via Bz(COMe)CN
« on: June 15, 2004, 06:15:00 PM »

This procedure has been made based on article from an old Russian book. Perhaps, somebody here already used it – I did not check it carefully. It just only one more Experience…

In dry 100 mL round-bottom flask on hot plate magnet stirrer was dissolved 3 g Na-metallic in 40 ml absolute ethanol. It takes about 1 h, after dissolving half portion of Na reflux (cooler+CaCl2-tube!) was needed. During obtaining NaOEt is necessary to prepare dry ethyl acetate. AcOEt was treated 30 min with dry Na2SO4, then 30 min with P2O5. Distillation is desirable, but not necessary.
When Na completely dissolved, hot plate was off, then 15 mL (1.5 equiv) of this dry ethylacetate followed by 11.7 mL (1.0 equiv) of benzyl cyanide were added to reaction flask and its was carefully continue to reflux. After 5 min white precipitate was appear together with foam. Is necessary to control this moment of reaction. When the foam was come down, reflux (with stirring) continued for next 1 h.
After approx one hour reaction mixture was cooled down, dissolved in 70 mL of water, washed twice with CH2Cl2, cooled to 5-10OC and neutralized by addition of 8 mL of acetic acid. Obtained precipitate of Bz(COMe)CN was filtered off, washed with water and used on next stage without additional purification and drying.
To a wet (or dry) Bz(COMe)CN in 250 mL round-bottom flask was added cooled to r.t. mixture of 20 mL of H2SO4 and 8 mL of water and obtained mixture was carefully warmed on hot plate magnet stirrer. At 70-80OC starting material was dissolved, after 5-10 min was exothermic reaction with temperature rise to boiling. The yellow oil with specific smell of P2P was appeared from flask. 50 mL of water was added carefully via cooler and reflux continued for next 1 h. After cooling, P2P was separated, water phase was extracted with 30 mL of ether, combined organic phases dried with Na2SO4 and solvent was removed under reduced pressure. Yield – 10 g of P2P (75%) for two stages. This product can be used on next stage without additional purification with some decrease of yield on next stage.

Pimpo

Congratulations
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 12:19:00 PM »
Hey, this sounds really great! Just a little idea concerning the ethoxide solution: Dissolution of Na-metal in alcohols higher than MeOH can be annoyingly slow, so besides heating you should cut up the metal in very small pieces or if possible get a wire-press (if there's no water around you don't have to be afraid of the Na catching fire, the literature sometimes exaggerates on this).

Rhodium

Phenylacetoacetonitrile P2P route
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 05:37:00 PM »
It's a variation on the synthesis found in

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/chemistry/phenylacetone.html#benzylcyanide

- but the yields in your case seems to be even better!

tetraedr

Ethoxyde and other...
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 06:47:00 PM »
Sodium ethoxyde is commercially avilable, but preparing its in citu is cheaper. It depends on current situation.
 I have read about this method several years ago, I thought, ist complicate. But practical experience shows that its seems more easy, than it was described in earlier sources.

Pimpo

alkoxides
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 08:59:00 AM »
The methoxide on the other hand, particularly as solution in methanol, is very cheap. I always avoided those commercial alkoxides, because a practical chemistry book stated (was on malonester condensation, I think) that these would sometimes react not as well or not at all. Is this another urban myth? Any comparative experiences?

Sorry, if this was off-topic, but I'd really like to know :-[ ...

hest

NaOR
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 09:53:00 AM »
Urban myth, the 30% solution  from Aldric/Acros ect. is just perfect.

tetraedr

opinion
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 06:47:00 PM »
It is really myth.
I have a big experience of using methoxyde, ethoxyde as solid commercially available powders, also solutions in alcoholes, also I have dissolved Na in alcoholes... No difference for chemistry, It is just depend on situation whats you have in stock or whats you can easy to get...

Offline NoMorePoisons!

• Larvae
Re: Practical P2P synthesis from Bz-CN via Bz(COMe)CN
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 09:06:34 PM »
what does p2p smell like

Offline HighBeeHelios

• Larvae
  • Enveloped in energy of the Sun
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 05:37:45 AM »
Hey mate, this post is 11 years old....

P2P smells "floral" quite pleasant. When you smell it, you may recognize the aroma from previously bought product.

~ Enveloped in energy of the Sun ~

Offline Moriarty

• Dominant Wasp
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 06:11:07 AM »
Never smelt it.  People, people who know nothing but claim to know something, always say it smells like cat piss.  Having produced about ~100KG of MDP-2-P and knowing what methamphetamine smells like I always doubted this.  It is sweet smelling and kind of like honey.  Am I right?  Just curious.

Moriarty 
"The bus came by and I got on
That's when it all began" -Grateful Dead

Offline HighBeeHelios

• Larvae
  • Enveloped in energy of the Sun
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 09:40:30 AM »
Hi Moriarty, I suppose it could smell like cat-piss, depending on which route was taken to produce the chemical as well as purity. One of the more common routes, using phenylacetic acid, could have the impurity phenylacetamide which supposedly smells of cat urine.

https://www.thevespiary.org/rhodium/Rhodium/Vespiary/talk/index.php/topic,839.msg10047.html

You could say is does have a slight honey smell, although it's more a 'chemical honey' smell. It's quite unique really, I cannot think of anything else that smells the same.

HighBee   :)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 09:43:39 AM by HighBee »
~ Enveloped in energy of the Sun ~

Offline BombSquad

• Larvae
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 05:53:26 AM »
I have a bottle of PMK , one of two made by Nick Sand that made it out of his Toronto Lab. It smells like warm cardamom, vanilla, lightly of warm cinnamon and honey. It's definitely a unique scent. I believe the perfume Angel uses PMK to attain it's unique scent profile.