Author Topic: L-DOPA musings -KrZ  (Read 1523 times)

dormouse

L-DOPA musings -KrZ
« on: April 25, 2000, 01:34:00 AM »

the Hive BB
  Novel Discourse
  L-DOPA musings

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic 
Author  Topic:   L-DOPA musings 
KrZ
Hive Bee   posted 02-25-2000 10:15 AM           
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
L-DOPA --DCM--> L-MDphenylalanine --H2/GAA/EtOH/Pd/C--> MDA ---Paraformaldehyde/H2/GAA/EtOH/Pt/C--> MDMA
Would it be impossible to reduce the carboxylic acid without destroying the MD-bridge? Don't know how much this stuff costs. Maybe some pimp enzymatic reaction to form DOPA first from phenylalanine and then on to the shiznits... ;-)

Epikur
Hive Bee   posted 02-25-2000 07:11 PM           
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some time back I had the same idea and asked the same question!
According to the Merck Index there also is a paper on phenylalanine => amphetamine, so I thought the DOPA => MDA might be an easy thing.

I was told, though, that it would be a way worse route than about anything else.

You might want to search the old messages.

Cherrie Baby
Hive Bee   posted 02-27-2000 11:38 AM           
I didn't think you could reduce a carboxyllic acid to alkane with Pd/H2.
What about:
1) L-MDphenylalanine + MeOH --> L-MDphenylalanine methyl ester
2) + PhCHO --> L-MDphenylalanine methyl ester schiff base
3) + MeX --> alpha-methyl L-MDphenylalanine methyl ester schiff base (X = Br, I)
4) hydrolyse schiff base, hydrolyse ester
5) decarboxylate --> MDA

What's the problem with this? Availability of MeX? I think MeBr is used as a fungicide.

Epikur
Hive Bee   posted 02-27-2000 06:45 PM           
Phenylalanine => d-amphetamine:
D.B. Repke at al., J. Pharm. Sci. 67, 1167 (1978)

All times are CT (US)
 next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
    Hop to: Select a Forum or ArchiveList of Forums:General DiscussionNewbie ForumAcquisition DiscourseChemistry DiscourseMethods DiscourseNovel DiscourseCrystal MethSerious Chemistry ForumThe Hive CouchAdmin Chill-out TentList of Archives:Couch ArchivesClassics!Law and OrderThe litter box.misc. PEAs  

Contact Us | the Hive