Author Topic: Not insects! Trees!  (Read 15225 times)

MrGreen

Re: Not insects! Trees!
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2000, 04:36:00 AM »

There are people out there taking the first steps (putting DNA into the bacteria):
  Biochemical characterization of recombinant human phenylalanine hydroxylase produced in E. coli.
  J Biol Chem. 1987

There are bacteria out there (Chromobacterium) doing our work for us:
  Cloning and expression of Chromobacterium violaceum phenylalanine hydroxylase in E. coli and
  comparison of amino acid sequence with mammalian aromatic amino acid hydroxylases. J Biol Chem. 1991
(don't ask me why chromobacteria has ph-hydroxylase in its genes, i have no idea, can't imagine it needs it for adrenaline/dopamine production)

Mr_Smith

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2000, 07:38:00 PM »
"Mr. Smith, can you dig this bent?"

Yep. Freddie seems to know his molecular biology.

The part about the blood and moldy coffee cups is a joke, though.

I'd love to do experiments like this, but right now my living conditions aren't conducive to it. You need a lab to carry out this kind of work... room for lots of culture jars and petri dishes and such. Granted, a lot of the equipment is commonplace or can be improvised: an incubator from a cooler with a thermometer and an adjustable heating pad, a centrifuge from an old blender, a large pressure canner for an autoclave, etc...etc... Someone might be able to pull it off in their basement.

Oh yeah, and isolating the gene /should/ be easy, beacuse safrole is toxic. By placing your randomly transformed organisms on a media with a high safrole content, selection should take care of the rest, without the need to slice in an antibiotic resistance gene and all that jazz.

8)

foxy2

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2000, 12:25:00 AM »
It just might work if someone knew of promiseing bacterial strains, shooting in the dark would be next to impossible.  Most promiseing bacteria could probably be conditioned to grow in saffrole, the proper aminoacid amendments may promote the amination.

I have no idea what im talking about

cathhead

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2000, 09:44:00 PM »
if aphid droppings (after nibbling on saf.) were to be made an effective means of production it would seem that the first requirement would be a massively enlarged species of aphids.
these extra-large aphids would perhaps have an increased intelligence and may catch on to the fact that they are slaves in actuallity. this may then lead to an uprising of aphids, who in a remarkably human-like revenge action may decide to destroy not only us humans but also the entire race of ladybugs who have been hellbent on keeping the righteous aphid down!
arise and fight my aphid brethren! i will support you, and even aid you in your cause! i will change my diet to be leafy vegetation like yours! i will dust the homes of my neighbors with "human-acides" to keep them from further destroying the few remaining reserves of prime vegetation!
all who would join us- the time is NOW!!!

or perhaps i should simply stop using so much speed when watching insect documentaries on the discovery channel.

if you find yourself alone, in fields of alisian...
do not be troubled! for you are already dead!

Mr_Smith

« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2000, 10:59:00 PM »
I like you already, cathhead.

8)

dazey

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2000, 05:47:00 PM »
You kick ass, cathead!
dazey

Please give thanks to our matron Saint "Our Lady of The Blinding Light"

Fuchem

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2000, 08:06:00 AM »
Marry me Cathhead!

"To be the sum of all parts, in one place, at one time" - Andrew Graybeal

homunculus

« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2000, 10:26:00 AM »
Forget genetically modifying other organisms- what if you could develop a virus that would insert a gene to produce MDMA (or whatever other drugs) into HUMAN cells...

Infect yourself, then spread the love to the entire planet. That is the next step in our evolution...

bizarium

« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2000, 07:39:00 PM »
Homunculus may bee jesting, but for real he's hit the nail on the head. It is truly us that needs the egineering work. The other beasties are ok, for the most part.

Thing is, we humans haven't even messed with natural selection much. Might bee a good idea to try some of that before manipulating the fine points.

How many people breed with any for thought for the combined genetic's effect on the zygote?

Mixing up the gene pool would bee a good start. Seemed to work for Tiger Woods; at least for his golf game.

Teonanacatl

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2000, 08:42:00 PM »
I've brought this whole topic up a couple times before here, and have given the information that THERE ARE plant species out there producing amphetamines...last time I was here I went on about Acacia rigidula (should still be in the archives) since then I have found one other species which was found to produce amphetamine, methamphetamine, paramethoxyamphetamine, parahydroxyamphetamine, N,N-dimethylamphetamine and 3,4-dimethoxy-5-hydroxyamphetamine...what more could you want in terms of enzymes (hell, it even produces mescaline, and A. rigidula also produces DMT). Rhodium...what was the reference for that rabbit liver enzyme? If a cDNA has been produced for this enzyme it could be used to search for similar enzymes in this species and determine whether this is the pathway being used in these species...

EC 2.1.1.XX
EC 1.14.XX.X